WWII POW grouping to US Army Doctor on Bataan

KASTAUFFER

This is an interesting group to a US Army Captain ( later Major ) who was a Doctor at Hospital # 1 on Bataan . Dr. Wilson graduated from Medical school in 1925 and volunteered for service in the Philippines in 1940 . He was assigned to Sternberg General Hospital in Manila. Once the war started he evacuated into Bataan. He was later captured on Bataan and was a POW at Camp O'Donnell, Cananatuan , and was later sent to Japan. He was transported first on the Hokusen Maru to the Shirakawa Camp on Taiwan then again transferred up to Japan on the Melbourne Maru.He was eventually rescued at Sendai camp # 3 at Hosokura.

For his Service in WWII he was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. I do not have details of either award yet. The Bronze Star is officially hand engraved.

The thing that intrigued me the most was his hand made POW Medical badge ! It has his Red Cross Non-Combatants ID # on it.

wilson1a.jpg

Here is a photo of Dr. Wilson at Hospital # 1 on Bataan . The photo is from " I served on Bataan" by Juanita Redmond, an Army Nurse who made it to Australia.

wilson9.jpg

The official naming on his Bronze Star

wilson2a.jpg

Here is a close up of his POW Medical ID badge . I believe he wore it in Japan rather than the Philippines. It is hand made with Glass over the top of the design held in place by a piece of aluminum crimped over it. P-5130 is his Red Cross ID # . The # is documented by a POW postcard he sent to the Red Cross .

wilson3a.jpg

wilson4.jpg

Correspondance from Dr. Wilson requesting a " Certificate of Non-Combatant" status be issued to him by the Red Cross and sent to him in the POW camp. Notice the " P-5130 " ID number he references on the card . I have seen this exact same request made by other POW's at the same time who were medical personnel in the Philippines.

The card was mailed to the Red Cross , which in turn , sent his wife a copy of it.

wilson6a.jpg

wilson5a.jpg

First POW mail he sent home in 1942 from Camp O'Donnell. You can read the location in the part that is crossed out.

wilsona.jpg

More POW mail from Capt Wilson. Camp # 1 was located at Cabanatuan ( Great Raid Camp ) . The postcard dated 2/18/42 was mailed from Bataan and would have been sent out via Submarine.

wilson7a.jpg

Postcard sent to Dr. Wilson's wife by a POW who was liberated from Cabanatuan during the great raid concerning the Dr's status. The sender was Lt. Emmet L. Manson , who had served on the USS Canopus, a sub tender sunk in the Philippines , which had very distinguished and interesting service .

wilson8.jpg

This thread is dedicated to the Men and Women of Bataan and Corregidor, including my Uncle Arthur E. Sorts of the 200th CA who was captured on Bataan and liberated in 1945 at Bilibid Prison.

There are not many of these heroes left.

Kurt Barickman

That is quite a grouping Kurt :thumbsup: It is so difficult to find groupings like that to those extremely early famous battles. Congrats and thanks for posting.

Kurt

This thread is dedicated to the Men and Women of Bataan and Corregidor, including my Uncle Arthur E. Sorts of the 200th CA who was captured on Bataan and liberated in 1945 at Bilibid Prison.

There are not many of these heroes left.

My dedication to First Sergeant Roland W. Towers, Battery A, 60th C.A. Regt. (deceased) Bataan Death March survivor and first class trumpet player. My music teacher many years ago!

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Corpsmancollector

Truly amazing Kurt. Your posts never cease to amaze me with the high quality of items and such thorough and complete research. A true testament to those brave men!

Will

• 7 months later...

Very nice! I love seeing Bataan groupings and related pieces as my current battalion has a long history with the defense.

Drew

Wharfmaster

Great group Kurt, keep them coming!

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

Philippine Liberation courtesy of the First Cavalry Division. The First Team. First in Manila, first in Tokyo.

We Remember.

• 7 months later...

A nice grouping,

Thanks for remembering the guys (and nurses) in the Philippines in 1941-1942, sometimes they get overshadowed in history books.

RC

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Back to the top in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Fall of Bataan.

Kurt

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...