Please help ID this jacket ? 1900s, 1800s ?

oddmod

I came across this jacket (coat) in a small rural museum. They didn't have any specific information on it, and I told them I would try to help reference it for them. It looks to me to be from "The Indian Wars" time frame. Really strange collar on it, maybe it was supposed to be a stand up that someone folded over, also the decorative ribbons look almost like added costume pieces to me.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, JC

post-5673-1250090864.jpg

post-5673-1250090885.jpg

I came across this jacket (coat) in a small rural museum. They didn't have any specific information on it, and I told them I would try to help reference it for them. It looks to me to be from "The Indian Wars" time frame. Really strange collar on it, maybe it was supposed to be a stand up that someone folded over, also the decorative ribbons look almost like added costume pieces to me.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, JC

detail...

post-5673-1250090959.jpg

post-5673-1250090981.jpg

Theater / stage prop...?

Ok, well let me ask the question a little differently.

What do you make of that tag ?

During what period was the Army using Khaki (prior to WW2) ?

Do the buttons look like issued items or purely costume ?

My feeling is that the jacket is definitely pre WW2.... and probably mid to late "Victorian" or early "Edwardian"

Thanks again,

JC

To me it looks like a pajamas top or smoking jacket, with what appear to be mohair collar and cuff bands. I could see something like this being a private purchase item with the "US ARMY STANDARD KHAKI" being a manufacturer's say of saying they used a correct shade of khaki.

teufelhunde.ret

Open pockets a giveaway, button appear repro, modern era chain stitch around button holes, no provision for epaulets, no provision on collar for insignia etc, no mfg name, applied ornamental cloth around collar, rolled seam at bottom leading to coat flaps.... enough for now