3rd Marine Division in New Zealand

ChrisNZ

As a side unit my reenactment group is currently sorting out a 3rd Marine Division display, we are in New Zealand, during WW2 the 3rd Marine Division has camps in Auckland, New Zealand, i've not been able to find much information on what seems to be an all but forgotten subject, even the information centre in Warkworth where both Marines and Army had camps didn't even know they had ever been there.

I'm after any photos of the 3rd Marines in New Zealand or any information that may be helpful.

Hi ChrisNZ,

I don't know if the information contained in it will be of help, but you may want to find a book entitled THE YANKS ARE COMING: The American Invasion of New Zealand 1942-1944. The author is Harry Bioletti. The book was published by Century Hutchinson in 1989. ISBN 1 86941 034 3.

It gives details about where various American units, USMC and U. S. Army, were based, and does have some pictures. The emphasis seems to be on the effects the American presence had on New Zealand society, and vice versa. I haven't yet read the whole book, so I can't say how much reference there is specifically to 3rd Marine Division.

I found copies for sale on Amazon and half.com.

Good luck in your research.

Cheers,

Terry ("Bagman")

Thanks Terry, i am currently mid way through reading that, its good but not so much a reference book, theres a small amount of info here http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/us-forces-in-new-zealand i just got back from visiting the park that was a US Army camp, Camp Hillcrest and there is no sign what so ever that it was ever a camp, i've got a copy of the 3rd Marine Division history inbound so with luck that will have some useful info.

The Yanks are Coming has some great hand drawn maps in the front, it shows the camps but doesn't say who was in each camp which is a shame.

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris.

This is probably something you've already seen but here's a copy of a booklet that was done in the last 20 years by New Zealand to commemorate the Yanks arrival during the war. What is neat about it is that it has quite a few aerial photos and line drawings of the many U.S. camps that were located in New Zealand during the war.

I picked this item up at a small out-of-the-way antique store in Iowa.

Here's some photos:

Kim

post-60-1300001273.jpg

post-60-1300001280.jpg

post-60-1300001288.jpg

Thanks Kim, i haven't seen or heard of that booklet, i'll try and track down a copy, thanks for the heads up.

YOur welcome.

I have the impression that this was handed out to American veterans who returned to New Zealand on vacation to visit some of their old haunts.

Kim