Wilde Tool Knife

thorin6

I picked up this knife at a recent gun show. Obviously a modified M1905/M1 Bayonet, but when I bought it I didn't realize that it started as a Wilde Tool Bayonet. When I got home and researched the WT marking on the guard, I learned that Wilde Tool had marked the upper part of the guard, unlike other makers that marked the underside where the marking can't be read unless you take off the grips. It is a well done modification, and I've matched it with a period correct leather scabbard. The guy that sold it to me ($10) had picked it up to get the K-Bar scabbard that was with it, and had little interest in the knife. I had wanted to add a "theater" knife conversion of a bayonet to my collection, so this filled the bill.

WTKnife.jpg

My general interest for bayonets had me collecting all the M4 bayonets in several different configurations. I'm still short the wooden handle configuration, but have one of every US maker, arsenal rebuilds, rubber handled, etc. My interest in M1 bayonets was one of each configuration, so I have a regular 16-inch bayonet, a regular 10-inch version, a cut-down RIA (bowie point), and a cut-down SA (spear point). I also have one of each M5 (Aerial, blued) and M5A1 (J&D Tool).

Getting the Wilde Tool knife was interesting, but of course, it isn't the bayonet it once was. Interestingly, one of my cut-downs has the Wilde Tool Grips (brownish-red with black rectangle). Both cut-downs are marked with the company that did the work.

Wild drop forge and Oneida m1 bayonets have got to be some of my favourite makers, both makers are quit rare and I only have two examples of each maker. A nice knife well done, you did well with the price as well.

I picked up all my bayonets on ebay about eight years ago, at least one of each supplier including a Wilde. Most were cut down and a few M1 bayonets. Prices were in the neighborhood of $50 to $65 with scabbards. This summer I got lucky on Craigslist and bought a 1905 RIA bright blade dated 1906 with a 1910 scabbard marked (partially visible) RIA. Here is the luck part, $130.