Ebay response to buyer fraud

chris3bs

Ebay is not playing around locally. I do not know what the seller had listed to sell but this was Ebay's response:

Alamance County, NC -- Deputies arrested a man Monday for taking eBay customers' money without sending them their goods, according to Alamance County Sheriff's investigators.

Deputies arrested Brian David Wright, 28, and charged him with two counts of obtaining property by false pretense and one count of accessing computers to defraud.

The investigation began after a victim in Austin, Texas alleged Wright took money through PayPal without sending the item purchased through eBay, an online auction website.

Investigators said victims across the country lost more than $1,800 from the fraud.

The account used for the alleged frauds was deactivated by eBay.

Wright was jailed under a $8,000 bond.

I thought the forum maybe interested.

I do not know wha

Sketchy info, but it sounds like the victim took the initiative and went to his local police and that eBay's role was minimal. Of course, eBay is not real interested in rooting out fraud among its sellers because the selletrs pay eBay's bills.

Nonetheless, it's great to see a victim fight back.

Sketchy info, but it sounds like the victim took the initiative and went to his local police and that eBay's role was minimal. Of course, eBay is not real interested in rooting out fraud among its sellers because the selletrs pay eBay's bills.

Nonetheless, it's great to see a victim fight back.

Absolutely. But why did the victims not just open a Non Receipt complaint and get their money back like that. Would have thought it would have been easier.

Absolutely. But why did the victims not just open a Non Receipt complaint and get their money back like that. Would have thought it would have been easier.

Probably easier, but a crimminal would still be decieving people.

Here's my question. What about buyers who are opening non-receipt complaints and getting their money back for items they actually received?

Here's my question. What about buyers who are opening non-receipt complaints and getting their money back for items they actually received?

As a seller, it's your job to take them to task.

It should work both ways.

Enough people get "busted", maybe people will think twice on both sides of the transaction. :think:

From what I understand the buyer called our sheriff's dept and reported it. I do believe Ebay should help the consumer as much possible. Will see what happens with the case. I would not be surprised somehow the case will be settled out of court.

teufelhunde.ret
From what I understand the buyer called our sheriff's dept and reported it.

Good for him! A little self help goes a long way - we all know Ebay has no interest in these matters...

It's too bad, as you can be sure eBay's attorneys have figured out a way to armour-plate the company, but it would be nice to see eBay nailed a time or two for "aiding and abetting" some of these frauds. Maybe it would make them think a little.

Tom