509th PIB prior to Torch jump

124cav

Wow...those are great shots! Never seen any from this sequence before. Isn't it remarkable how the flying helmets change the character of the paratroopers completely? Just add M2 jump-helmets and...voila!...transformed! Thanks for posting these.

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

im a bigfan of the cloth helmet with jumpsuit

1st model jumpsuits seem to outnumber second pattern

name tapes are visible

The parade photos date from the Memorial Day 1941 parade in Washington. The unit is the 501st Para Bn, up from Ft Benning.

BTW it is not "4/503rd", but rather "2/503rd". As the remainder of the 503rd Regiment was shipped off to Australia, the War Dept figured it was a safe bet that the UK-deployed Bn would never be reunited with its parent regt. Therefore, the War Dept constituted the next available number in the PIR series -- 5-0-Nine -- and left the UK bunch as its 2nd Bn, while no others Bns of that Regt existed.

Odd twist: Per a hand-written WORKSHEET I saw once at the Center of Mil History, Detachments of the 509th Regtl Hq Co and Svc Co were in fact activated and sent to England in Sep-Oct 1942, but were absorbed into the 2nd Bn as it was preparing to go to TORCH. In effect, a Replacement Co of 80-100 newly arrived troops was left behind in the UK, and it joined the rest in Algeria, its assets used to make up combat losses in TORCH.

The parade photos date from the Memorial Day 1941 parade in Washington. The unit is the 501st Para Bn, up from Ft Benning.

BTW it is not "4/503rd", but rather "2/503rd". As the remainder of the 503rd Regiment was shipped off to Australia, the War Dept figured it was a safe bet that the UK-deployed Bn would never be reunited with its parent regt. Therefore, the War Dept constituted the next available number in the PIR series -- 5-0-Nine -- and left the UK bunch as its 2nd Bn, while no others Bns of that Regt existed.

Odd twist: Per a hand-written WORKSHEET I saw once at the Center of Mil History, Detachments of the 509th Regtl Hq Co and Svc Co were in fact activated and sent to England in Sep-Oct 1942, but were absorbed into the 2nd Bn as it was preparing to go to TORCH. In effect, a Replacement Co of 80-100 newly arrived troops was left behind in the UK, and it joined the rest in Algeria, its assets used to make up combat losses in TORCH.

the 4/503rd was fat fingers

• 3 weeks later...

We Jump to fight has the pics as being 1st/503rd,memorial day

i think the 501st was in Panama by then?

RE Post #60: There were (are?) three books in the Airborne Album series.

The first, in 1981, was a paperback, emulating Squadron books in format: Volume One: Parachute Test Platoon To Normandy. It shows up on EBay and goes for around $20.

The second, in 1992, was hardbound: 1943-1945, Normandy to Victory.

The third -- and hardest to find -- is Airborne Album: Normandy, published in 1994, also hardbound.

To the best of my knowledge, the first one has been out of stock for years at the publisher.

About a year ago, the publisher told he still had a few of the second and third.

Publisher: Phillips Publications, POB 168, Williamstown NJ 08094

RE Post #61: A quick check of my notes shows the first part of the 501st Para Bn (Co C), leaving for Panama on 28 Jun 1941. 502nd Bn was activated 10 July 1941 and the 503rd Bn 22 Aug 1941.

craig_pickrall
I believe there were only two albums.

See post # 62 above. He is the man that wrote the 3 volume set.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, that is Wm. P. Yarborough in the picture, chatting with German prisoners. He spoke French well and German fairly well.

Later in life he was a Bn cdr in the 504th PIR for Sicily, CO of the 473rd Inf Regt (Flak Feet), and ONE of the "Fathers of Special Forces". He is credited with getting JFK to approve the wear of the green beret. He designed the Army jump wings and had significant input in designing the VN era "jungle fatigues". He retired a Lt Gen.

• 2 weeks later...
We Jump to fight has the pics as being 1st/503rd,memorial day

i think the 501st was in Panama by then?

In Stand in the door there is photos of HQ Coy,509 with guidons in Algeria

my scanner is cactus otherwise.................

• 9 months later...

I have stumbled into this old thread looking for information on William P. Yarborough and must say the photos are wonderful.

There are a few comments that have been unanswered in the thread, and I just happen to have obtained an interesting book about the 509th Parachute Infantry and it's role in Operation Torch. The author is non other than William P. Yarborough himself, and it is called "Bail Out over North Africa". The books offers a lot of info.

See this thread about the book:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=120360

First of all, the paratrooper in the first photos with the Carbine bayonet standing with Mrs. Roosevelt is Lt. Colonel Edson D. Raff. The photos were taken at Chilton Foliat, UK.

Regarding the photo of the paratrooper speaking with the German prisoners, it is Yarborough himself. It was taken in Tunisia, after the attack of the 509th to the Faid Pass. He is wearing the red fourragerie of the 3rd Zouave Regiment of the French Army, which was presented to the members of the 509th Parachute Infantry Battalion by the commanding officer of the 3rd Zouaves at Youks-les-Bains, Algeria on 15th of November, 1942.

Best regards,

Gus

post-22-0-52443800-1401149253.jpg

post-22-0-88106800-1401149255.jpg

in Stand in the Door,the above pic is listed as being of Yarborough himself

anyone else think so?

Absolutley that is Gen. Yarborough!

He was a tough dude and lived a long life. Lived near Ft Bragg I believe.

Absolutley that is Gen. Yarborough!

He was a tough dude and lived a long life. Lived near Ft Bragg I believe.

Yes, he lived in Southern Pines, North Carolina until his death.

Regards,

Gus