Another M5 bayonet question

Misfit-45

I have an M5 bayonet made by J&D Tool that has the wide grips, but no DAS. Since we have consensus that no DAS means not US military,(unless made after 1965 and I don't think J&D Tool was around then) I want to switch grips with a known USGI example. I do not, however want to put a chicken head on a duck's body.

Did all M5s start out with wide grips, or just certain manufacturers?

FYI, for those who do not know, on some M5s, the area of the grips that lay against the barrel when mounted is flat and wide. The grips were soon changed to grips that are a little narrower, possibly because it's difficult to get the "fat" grips strapped into the M8A1 scabbard.

Thanks,

Marv

Can't say for sure, but:

All Uticas that I have seen have the first type (fat) grips, which is not surprising as this apparently was a fairly small and early contract.

Imperial certainly used the type 1 grips in their early production as they had the first contract.

Aerial most probably used the type 1 grips early on, but I am not positive. The only Aerial M5 I have in my reference collection has type 2.

I have two J&D Tool M5s with the type 1 grips, one with the early Camillus supplied blade and one with their blade, and I think it is very likely that they are original to the bayonets.

Look VERY closely at your J&D Tool M5 for the DAS. MOST of these were very lightly stamped and on at least one of mine is nearly impossible to see but it is there. I doubt if many if any M5s were made for or sold on the commercial market by them, and probably not by the other makers. Not the same as the M5A1 where there are many suspicious ones (especially MILPAR).

Hey Gang! I recently bought an M5-1 made by JD Tool with both the early grips, and the DAS. I assume they did not transition grips until the type 1's were exhausted. Any thoughts? THX SKIP

Bayonetman, I'm looking very very closely. Here's a couple of pictures. I don't see a DAS, but if I squint my eyes, I can see dinosaurs!

It seems that J&D Tool Company holds the award for most exceptions...the curved backcut and now no DAS on M5s.

Thanks again!

Marv

DSC03350.jpg

DSC03354.jpg