M1913 Patton

jls77

My two latest additions - Thought I'd post for those collecting serial data. 1913 SA sn/ 6402 & the cut-down knife is SA 1914 sn/ 16003. The knife also has some added marks - looks like 8 2 9 on serial side & 7 B on date. I just assumed these were placed there when cut-down.

Jamie

000_0021.jpg

000_0029.jpg000_0030.jpg

+1 for what Varangian said! That is a really nice pair to have added to your collection.

Congrats.

Tim

Knife was hanging on the wall of a local shop. He also had an Anderson & another with wood grip. I guess I caught the guy on a day when he needed some cash. I have seen one other advertised for sale on a website but I can't find it now. I always forget to bookmark stuff.

Jamie

Knife was hanging on the wall of a local shop. He also had an Anderson & another with wood grip. I guess I caught the guy on a day when he needed some cash. I have seen one other advertised for sale on a website but I can't find it now. I always forget to bookmark stuff.

Jamie

THe Anderson is a good piece to.Maybe he will sell it to you for a good price too

RD

pony soldier

Hello:

A very nice pair and I must envy you for them. The knife is interesting with the additional markings. On the knife, it is what is usually refered to as a "San Antonio"made during WW2 by the San Antonio Iron Works. So far I have not been able to find any confirmation that the Company existed at that time period and they did make these knives. I have heard the sheaths were bought wholesale in Mexico.

With you being in Texas and acquiring them there, is there any information you can get from the seller about how he got them and where. Probably not but I have to ask.

I have also heard that these knives were made from the sabers at Kelly Field in San Antonio. As the years go by it gets harder to find first hand evidence. This is something for gun collectors like the M1878 Colt with the expanded trigger guard being called the "Alaskan Model" for supposed use with gloves in cold weather. Evidene finally surfaced which put that myth to rest as in fact 5000 were made for use in the Phillipines during the 1900's insurrection. The expanded guard was to allow more leverage to pop the priming in the old .45 cartridges.

Thanks for sharing and thanks for posting the serial numbers which I always log.

Pony Soldier

Went back & talked to shop owner, He said he obtained these from Mr. Meyer Reiswerg ( Col. Bubbie ) in the 70's or 80's. Col. Bubbie ran a surplus store in Galveston. He said he has a few more at home. Some with sheaths marked - Stelzig Saddlery. I have seen that Antoine Stelzig - Richmond TX. - did make sheaths that were used with other knives. No other info on the manufacture of the knives though- just that he had also heard San Antonio Iron Works. I did however pick up the Anderson from him with original sheath for a good price.

Jamie

000_0001.jpg

Tony-in-NH
Went back & talked to shop owner, He said he obtained these from Mr. Meyer Reiswerg ( Col. Bubbie ) in the 70's or 80's. Col. Bubbie ran a surplus store in Galveston. He said he has a few more at home. Some with sheaths marked - Stelzig Saddlery. I have seen that Antoine Stelzig - Richmond TX. - did make sheaths that were used with other knives. No other info on the manufacture of the knives though- just that he had also heard San Antonio Iron Works. I did however pick up the Anderson from him with original sheath for a good price.

Jamie

000_0001.jpg

That's a nice one congrats.

pony soldier

Jamie:

Not to be a complete pest, however your reply about the shop owner having other specimens at home I have to pursue. Can you contact him again and see what he has. Looking for Springfield models with their year and serial number. Also would he be interested in selling any?? Realize he is your contact and you have first right of refusal on any if he wants to sell. If not, also happy with finding new serial numbers.

Pony Soldier in Oregon