WW1 Yeomanette Summer Jacket

cwnorma

Most recent aquisition to my WW1 Women's uniforms collection:

post-594-1273340284.jpg

During WW1, Secretary of the Navy Josephus Daniels noted that there was no prohibition in Navy regulations against inducting women. In order to free male sailors for active service, Daniels ordered the Department to begin inducting women for war service.

Between April 1917 and the end of the war, almost 11,000 women had enlisted.

Nearly all the "Yeomanettes" as they were popurlarly called held ratings as Yeoman in all grades through and including Chief Yeoman.

Officially refered to as Yeoman (F), the WW1 Yeomanettes hold the distinction of being the first enlisted women in the US Military. When discharged, each recieved Honorable Discharge certificates from the US Navy, and was entitled to wear the WW1 victory Medal.

Nice find, I was watching this one on ebay too. But never bid.

Great find,

Jason

Jason,

Thanks (on both counts--LOL)

I was very glad to get this one.

Chris

teufelhunde.ret

Congrat's Chris, its one scarce item there. Any chance the jacket is named? s/f Darrell

Congrat's Chris, its one scarce item there. Any chance the jacket is named? s/f Darrell

Darrell,

Well interesting you would say that. There was an old cleaning tag in the pocket with a handwritten name on it.

It looks like

Matlas Olry or possibly Mathes Org.

It is very hard to make out as it is old cursive writing (the writing is clear, but the letters run together). I'm sure that if I could find a roster of the Yeomanettes, I could pick her name out of it, but based only on the slip (assuming the slip is even her, and not someone else who had it cleaned later) its hard to pin it down exactly.

Chris

• 2 months later...

You don't want this old rag, I'll take it home with me when we come down! LOL Hopefully, we can get down in the fall and help you set up.

John

• 13 years later...