Amico WWII Marine Parachute Rigger Parawing

Hello,

Can anyone out there tell me if this is a WW2 era pin? The marking on the back is AMICO and Sterling 1/20 K. The pin opens to 90 degrees.

Jerry

post-213-1183668498.jpg

post-213-1183668526.jpg

I thought that the paramarines of WWII wore the Army style jump wings (I saw a picture of Ira Hayes with an Army style wing).

Maybe some of the other guys can tell when the Naval Parachutist wing was authorized. My guess is 1958.

Nice wing!!

Bill

in WWII, this was enstated for Navy and Marine personnel who were qualified Parachute Riggers. However, some Marines prefered them over the silver and wore them against regs. This style wing wasn't authorized for jump qualification until years later, I think in the 60s.

this looks like an original Navy Parachute Rigger Qualification Badge, WWII era. a well worn but nice example of an Amico wing. I have a set in my collection from the Wosk surplus, but it is unmarked. I like your set a lot

in WWII, this was enstated for Navy and Marine personnel who were qualified Parachute Riggers. However, some Marines prefered them over the silver and wore them against regs. This style wing wasn't authorized for jump qualification until years later, I think in the 60s.

this looks like an original Navy Parachute Rigger Qualification Badge, WWII era. a well worn but nice example of an Amico wing. I have a set in my collection from the Wosk surplus, but it is unmarked. I like your set a lot

I went from Nam to Okinawa for jump school in 1967 and was issued gold jump wings that looked like these. It was my beliefe that they had been common issue for at least several years at that point. When I got back to CONUS, I bought a pair of gold-plated sterling ones and still have them.

Semper fi; Bill