USAF Sculthorpe (UK)

O.G-Palmer

A bit of a stab in the dark but here goes. I am currently researching USAF Sculthorpe.

Its an airfield only a few miles away from me, and have visited it a few times. Unfortunately as its still in use by the RAF (maybe thats a good thing) access to most of the area is off limits to us joes. At least the accommodation buildings are somewhat accessible as is the exchange building.

I am mainly looking for photos of it in use in the 50s-60s and 70s but anything is welcome.

At some point ill have to go back with my new camera to take a few photographs of what it looks like now. That’s if anyone is interested of course?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ollie

There are quite a few shots of Sculthorpe on-line, but you probably already found those, hehehe..... I never took photos of Sculthorpe in my base hunting while stationed in the UK 94-01. I did catch Birchum Newton while up near Huntstanton. Great memories. Never take for granted where you live! What I would give to see another sunny day at Castle Acre!

-Ski

Thanks ski.

I have done a few searches online and found a few good photos, but to my surprise on youtube was this clip.

Ski what other airfields did you visit?

That's a terrific link..thanks for posting! Don't you just love those big, beautiful 50s warbirds?! Nice period USAF uniform details too...and those 50s British cars I remember so well from my childhood. Those bases were little islands of America in the midst of what was then still an austere, post-war Britain. Great stuff!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Thanks ski.

I have done a few searches online and found a few good photos, but to my surprise on youtube was this clip.

Ski what other airfields did you visit?

Loads! I photographed at least 20-30 in my searches in East Anglia, Essex, Suffolk, Linconshire and Leisteshire. I sure wish Google maps were around then. It would of made finding the fields a lot easier!!

Here is a shot of Bodney's control tower. This was the home of the 352nd FG. I convinced my British buddy to attempt to buy it and restore it as a house with the outside stock. The farming group initially agreed to sell it for 125K pounds considering it's condition. At the very last minute, they raised it to 200K. That really sucked. Now the building sits rotting with the chance that it will get bulldozed at some point. A real sad story.

You can just see my 1988 Rover 216SE to the right. What a car. I put it through hell.

-Ski

post-3043-1268589621.jpg