Ist Dat Ist Dat M3 Knife?

coastie

Found this knife last week. As you can see the guard has been replaced with a brass guard so I don't know if this is an M3 or an M4 made knife. There is no markings on the blade at all. At the pommel the blade end is round and peened over. You can see there are fiber spacers at either end of the handle.

History of it I'm not sure, it was found at my in-laws which had two sons in Viet Nam, one Army, Seabee. Father was an AMSC in the Navy all of whom have passed away. Could have even been passed down from other family members, or more likely picked up later.

So any guesses as to what it originally was?

post-87-1267739712.jpg

post-87-1267739727.jpg

I believe the M3 had more groves in the handle than the M4 (which looks like it had 6 as opposed to 7-8.) Not an expert, but that may be the only way to judge it. Also, since the blade isnt marked we're talking post-43/44 anyways...

Anyone else wanna guess?

The grooves in the handles vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.Case even produced a smooth handle variation.The leather was stacked and then a machine actually cut the groove in the stacked leather handle.On another note the handle may be shorter as the pommel would have been removed to facilitate removing and adding the guard.Im going to say this was an M4 bayonet and made by Imperial.I have owned and seen both M3s and M4s by Imperial which uses this brown plastic/bakelite spacer.If it was an M4 I would have just ground the ring off.I knew a guy who had a mint Case M3,smooth handle and he broke the guard as he tried to straighten it,as he wanted to "fix"it before bringing it to the show.He thought the guard shouldnt have a bend on one corner.I have see a straight guard Case M3 with smooth grip but his had the standard bent guard.

RD

Good observations, thanks. I haven't really seen many M3's up close but were the tangs rounded at the end or flat like Mk II's?

Good observations, thanks. I haven't really seen many M3's up close but were the tangs rounded at the end or flat like Mk II's?

I can look at mine later but I recall all being square/rectangular.

RD

Hey Gang! Looking at the knife I believe it was an Imperial M3/M4. Basically made up of left-over parts. The guard was probably an M4 w/ an M3 pommel. But, check out the spacer in front of the pommel. It has the notch cutfor the M4.Also Imperial used a "V" grooved handle. Late in M3 and early inM4 production they changed from a square cut groove to "V" Just my observations. SKIP

The handle is apparently a little shorter than usual, probably when the pommel or latch plate was removed. The rear spacer has the cuts for the removal of the latch pins, so it came from an M4 bayonet. Also the spacing and shape of the grooves appears more likely M4 than M3.

Most M3 grips had 8 grooves which were made by using washers of different diameter rather than cutting the grooves into the grip. In fact, some of the early M4 bayonets used the stacked rather than cut washers.

From left to right, Camillus M3 with stacked washers, early Utica M4 with stacked washers, Camillus M4 with cut grooves. Note the relief cut in the rear spacer of the Camillus M4 for the removal of the latch pins.

M3M4.jpg

Thanks Guys, it looks like you are spot on about it being a M4.

Did any of the M3's have fiber spacers?

Imperial was the only company who used spacers on M3's. I've seen black, brown, redish-brown, and even red(post war).SKIP

A little off topic. Is anyone else having a typing problem on this forum? I have no curser or delete capability. Also noticed the forum seems a little different.My typing system works on other sites.Computer crashed 2 days ago but is up now, Appreciate any input. THX SKIP

A little off topic. Is anyone else having a typing problem on this forum? I have no curser or delete capability. Also noticed the forum seems a little different.My typing system works on other sites.Computer crashed 2 days ago but is up now, Appreciate any input. THX SKIP

Thanks that narrows down what the knife is I think.

It seems the page moves up and down on me as I type. But it could be this antique laptop I'm using, been having issues with it for some time.