sawback bayonets

rldarmstr

Can anyone tell me; is there a usefull purpose for the sawback design on some bayonets other than just being a really ugly way to stick someone?

I always assume that this was the case. Then, a while back I had soemone tell me that they were designed that way as a survivalist aid, to actually saw something with it.

Sicne I question the source of this knowledge I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Robert

Can anyone tell me; is there a usefull purpose for the sawback design on some bayonets other than just being a really ugly way to stick someone?

I always assume that this was the case. Then, a while back I had soemone tell me that they were designed that way as a survivalist aid, to actually saw something with it.

Sicne I question the source of this knowledge I thought I would ask here.

Thanks,

Robert

Sawback bayonets are just that, impromptu saws. Developed to aid troops in more constructive uses (removing felled timber, building defenses, etc.) Their brutal use has always been more of a publishers hype kind of thing...

Although there have been different reasons over the years, the prime purpose was for "engineers" to use to cut wood such as small trees or saplings to clear fields of fire. Also to cut wood to construct obstructions or to conceal positions. During early WW1 they were used to cut posts to erect barbed wire (or to cut the posts off during an attack, not something I would like to try!), but later they went to metal posts.

WW1 German sawbacks, and their Swiss contemporaries were amazingly good at cutting wood, better than most conventional saws.

If memory serves me correct the Swiss Model was noted as Model 1914 Engineers bayonet for the Schmidt-Rubin Carbine, issued to engineers for wood cutting and construction purposes. Also seem to remember that at some time it's use was covered in one of the military conventions.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert,

I picked up a nice first war german mauser saw back butcher bayonet on Sun, with the scabbard,

it is in good condition but needed a good clean. Most of the saw backs have been ground down

as the saw backs was a lethal thing, but this one escaped that. It has 13 L V, on the quillian

but im not sure what unit it was so will research it, with the bayonet i got a nice luftwaffe eagle

solid brass, and a day badge of a mortar, made by Schlosse. I got these in a swop for two french

grenades. so not a bad find.

Dave.

I would show them but it is a U.S, forum.

I agree, saw back designed bayonets were made primarily as a tool, not to make them more lethal

actually I think a sawback would be a bad idea in a fight because it could get stuck or make it hard to pull back out quickly

a smooth bayonet would work better than one with a serrated edge for actual fighting

does anyone have any pictures of sawback bayonets from the korean war time period? my family has always talked about my grandfathers bayonet that had a saw back, ive always wanted to get one but never could fin any information..

does anyone have any pictures of sawback bayonets from the korean war time period? my family has always talked about my grandfathers bayonet that had a saw back, ive always wanted to get one but never could fin any information..

It would not have been US issue...

It would not have been US issue...

do you off the top of your head happen to know of any korean bayonets that had the saw back for that time period? im trying to make a display to honor him and that would be a key piece

do you off the top of your head happen to know of any korean bayonets that had the saw back for that time period? im trying to make a display to honor him and that would be a key piece

To my knowledge no such animal exists. I'm sorry. :unsure: Sometimes stories get changed over time; not embellished on purpose, but it just happens. Korea was under Japanese rule from 1910-1945; my understanding is that during the Korean War the South Koreans used Type T30 Japanese bayonets fitted to Japanese Type 38 and Type 99 rifles, and M4 and M5 US bayonets on M1 carbines and Garands.

North Koreans had a lot of Soviet weapons to include captured German weaponry. The probabilitly that they were from both WW1 and WW2, could be high. Plus China had M88 Mausers, probably M95's too. So why not have a few sawback bayonets.They'd make a great sword, til you picked up the guy's rifle who was shot in front of you in a human wave assault. Just my thoughts. SKIP

North Koreans had a lot of Soviet weapons to include captured German weaponry. The probabilitly that they were from both WW1 and WW2, could be high. Plus China had M88 Mausers, probably M95's too. So why not have a few sawback bayonets.They'd make a great sword, til you picked up the guy's rifle who was shot in front of you in a human wave assault. Just my thoughts. SKIP

Oh, well, in that case let's assume that it's a German 98/05 “Butcher Blade” bayonet like this one, which belonged to a Red Chinese, who got it from the Soviet soldier, who got it from a German in WWII:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sawback-Butcher-Mauser...emZ250577460058

When the Chicom, dropped it, somehow Gunner's Grandfather ended up with it. You can read about German Butcher Bayonets here:

http://www.seitengewehr.com/Fachzeitschrif...-blade-bayonet/