WAC chevrons??

misspotter

Since I've started doing research about the WAAC/ WAC, I've found many chevrons offered as WAC chevrons. But I cannot find any explanation as to why they are different. Somebody told me the colour is different, but why would the WAAC/ WAC get different chevrons when they didn't have their own uniforms at first, and later on were strugling to get accepted in the Army. This doens't make sence to me, does somebody have the answer?

Since I've started doing research about the WAAC/ WAC, I've found many chevrons offered as WAC chevrons. But I cannot find any explanation as to why they are different. Somebody told me the colour is different, but why would the WAAC/ WAC get different chevrons when they didn't have their own uniforms at first, and later on were strugling to get accepted in the Army. This doens't make sence to me, does somebody have the answer?

I don't think that the WACs had a seperate set of stripes until the AG uniform came about in 1957. Those stripes were miniature and of the same design as the full-sized rank. During WWII, WACs wore the same stripes as the men. I'm sure somebody can add more info.

-Ski

To the best of my knowledge, WACs never had separate chevrons. At least, not during WWII or immediately after.

Anyone offering chevrons as WAC is mistaken.

I frequently see items being listed as WAC or women's when they clearly aren't. My opinion is that if a seller doesn't know what something is, they just randomly assume it is women's and mark it as such.

WAC's got their own chevrons as early as 1947 when the small 2" combat/non-combat chevrons came out for male soldiers. The females got yellow stripes on a taupe background color for wear on the new taupe color service uniform. Since then, females in the Army wore 2" wide chevrons until the 2" size was dropped a couple of years ago for the 2 1/2" wide unisex Army chevrons.

Check Emerson's book on chevrons for the details on the older female chevrons.

• 2 months later...
SSG Signal Corps (GE)

Hi, this is my first reply here.

The official publications told this:

Army Regulation AR 600-37 16. April 1945 Prescribed Service Uniform WAC

No. 33 Enlisted Women - Insignia of grade: Insignia of grade (AR 600-35) will be worn, and distinctive insignia if authorized (AR 600-40) may be worn, as prescribed for enlisted men of the Army. The insignia of grad worn on the Women's Amry Corps off-duty dress will be as issued.[/i]

Army Regulation AR 600-35 10. November 1941 Prescribed Service Uniform Male

No. 27 d. Enlisted men - Insignia of grade:

1. Noncommissioned officers, technicans and privates, first class, will have insignia of grade on a background forming an edging around the entire insignia and between each chevron, as follows:

A) Cotton, khaki chevrons , arcs, Ts, and lozenge on a dark blue cotton background

B) Olive-darb wool chevrons, arcs, Ts, and lozenge on a dark blue wool background

I hope that will help you.

I serach a long time after I read your post, that I'm sure I read a describtion that say that all insignia of WAC's are the same size as males but it can't find it to proof it.

You can see that the female clerk of General Clark in Italy (5th Army) have the same size of chevrons as a male.

post-10909-1269957110.jpg

post-10909-1269957131.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
WAC's got their own chevrons as early as 1947 when the small 2" combat/non-combat chevrons came out for male soldiers. The females got yellow stripes on a taupe background color for wear on the new taupe color service uniform. Since then, females in the Army wore 2" wide chevrons until the 2" size was dropped a couple of years ago for the 2 1/2" wide unisex Army chevrons.

Check Emerson's book on chevrons for the details on the older female chevrons.

Here's an example of a late 40's/early 50's WAC chevron.

post-322-1270676547.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is the OQMG drawing showing the 2" chevrons. The combat / non-combat version for males have been deleted and the drawing is re-titled INSIGNIA OF GRADE WOMEN'S ARMY CORPS ENLISTED PERSONNEL. The color is CHAMOIS / TAUPE where the color used for male chevrons was BLUE / GOLD.

post-5-1270772951.jpg

post-5-1270772958.jpg

post-5-1270772965.jpg

post-5-1270772971.jpg

post-5-1270772979.jpg