WW2 US airforce lighter ?

NickD

hiya guys

this came today what was sold as a WW2 US airforce lighter vet bring back. its still in ok condition looks like it damaged by someone haveing to force the centre out as it looks to have been rusted in for some time but it dose still spark i havent filled it to find out whether it still lights ?????????

so is it WW2, is it woth the £10 i paid any opinions are welcome :thumbsup:

this is how it was described when it was being sold

THIS IS A 2ND WORLD WAR US AIR FORCE LIGHTER IN THE ZIPPO STYLE BUT WITH KINGS WAY ON BOTTOM

CAME FROM THE EFFECTS OF A SURVIVOR OF HMS DORSETSHIRE ... SUNK BY A JAPANESE DIVEBOMBER IN JULY 1942 IN THE INDIAN OCEAN.

AT SOME POINT, HE MUST HAVE PICKED THIS UP AS A SOUVENIR PRIOR TO DEMOB.

WELL USED AND WITH SOME PAINT LOSS BUT STILL GIVES A SPARK AND MAY WELL WORK, WITH FUEL.

HOPE IT MAY INTEREST SOMEBODY.

PIC_1323.jpgPIC_1325.jpgPIC_1326.jpgPIC_1327.jpgPIC_1328.jpg

Looks post 1947 to me. The National insignia as used on aircraft is kind of crude, but the center stripes weren't added till '47 (and it was red, not blue). I'd think that if it was WWII, it would have read Army Air Force or AAF. The light blue color seems more appropriate to the post war independent Air Force. Just my 2 cents worth. :think:

I was thinking - it strikes me as being 1950s.

The fellow may well have been in WW2, but as Lee said, there did not exist a USAF prior to 1947.

His service in WW2 would not make it impossible to have this lighter (Kingsway being a very well known manufacturer of lighters all the way back to Victorian times), but attributing it to WW2 doesn't feel right to me either.

I like the piece, whatever it turns out to be.