Scabbard Help??????

S McKibben

OK all you knife and bayonet nuts,I picked up a scabbard today and it has stumped me.It looks like a M-1 bayonet scabbard but is only 8in long and 1 3/4 wide.Its not fiber it is made of metal.It has the big flaming bomb on the front side but no other markings I can find.I dont see it in any of my books either.

Thanks for the help!

Shaun

post-5730-1258229309.jpg

post-5730-1258229346.jpg

Dagger Addict-Remember all those Korean cut-down M1 bayonets? These are the cut-down M3/M7 scabbards they fit in. Evidently the scabbard bodies were cracked or damaged so the ROK's fabricated a protective metal outer shell and riveted it on the shortened body. Years ago I had bought a couple of the bayonets still in the white wrapper w/Korean writing.As I recall they were 2 for $15. A couple of years later the scabbards were offered at $5 each. I believe it may have been from "What A Country" or "Sportsman's Guide". Don't remember exactly. Makes a nice package, and is an alternative to the M8A1 scabbards also used. SKIP

Thanks Skip,I knew about the cut downs but didnt know they were redone in metal.For some reason I was thinking this scabbard was older but makes since.I was hoping I found something really cool but maybe next time.I guess I need a cut down to go in this scabbard.

Shaun

Hi

The composite scabbard bodies are removable from the metal "throat" which hold the hanger.

Its also possible somebody took an M1 bayonet and cut it down to a fighting knife, then bent up the tangs on the scabbard, removed the body and cut it down to the right length to fit the cut-down fighting knife, then re-installed it on the throat