V 42 find today

Navy Dan

:w00t:

Found this at a local gun show a V 42 theater modified grip with sheath and Navy dog tag.

Joseph

Blanchard

Condron

ENS SC

T 10/42

USNR O

Looking for info on him

I should be getting photos of him as well . I will post when I get them.

Any info would be appreciated . I will be checking out the forum link.

Thanks Dan

post-2552-1257636184.jpg

post-2552-1257636220.jpg

Nice score Dan.

Two possibilities on your man.He may have servered on the Omaha as some of the 42s were issued to the Navy Landing force on that ship.The ones for the Navy tend to have a short sheath like the Marine Raider knife.Also he could have gotten it from a Force man.I have spoken to several Force Vets who stated that they had to turn in their knives on the boat ride home.They were crated up and then given out upon arrival state side.According to one vet(R Rix)he said the order came down as the officer(s) thought the men would have idle hands and didnt want any accidents to happen with knife play.I tend to believe his story as he related it to me after I asked him why his V42 had another mans name inked on the scabbard.He further stated he was given this knife when they opened up the crate state side.He never paid any attention too the name on the back.

What did you have to give for this if I can ask??

Thanks for posting.

RON

Nice score Dan.

Two possibilities on your man.He may have servered on the Omaha as some of the 42s were issued to the Navy Landing force on that ship.The ones for the Navy tend to have a short sheath like the Marine Raider knife.Also he could have gotten it from a Force man.I have spoken to several Force Vets who stated that they had to turn in their knives on the boat ride home.They were crated up and then given out upon arrival state side.According to one vet(R Rix)he said the order came down as the officer(s) thought the men would have idle hands and didnt want any accidents to happen with knife play.I tend to believe his story as he related it to me after I asked him why his V42 had another mans name inked on the scabbard.He further stated he was given this knife when they opened up the crate state side.He never paid any attention too the name on the back.

What did you have to give for this if I can ask??

Thanks for posting.

RON

Hi Ron,

The story which is unconfirmed as of yet from the wife to my friend who picked it up. He was part of the navy landing forces but not sure of the ship yet. He is going back to get some more info and some photos hopefully this week.

The price is not something I would like to broadcast but it was not expensive .

This is the first one I have seen with a custom grip. I love the theater made navy knifes.

Thanks Dan