Force Recon uniform for bid on eBay

Tonomachi

I saw this on eBay (220505312731) and was wondering what members on the forum thought about this uniform. I'm no expert on uniforms but I've been collecting these types of paratrooper wings for a number of years and have not come across this particular style of embroidery.

post-1389-1257610242.jpg

post-1389-1257610256.jpg

post-1389-1257610283.jpg

post-1389-1257610295.jpg

post-1389-1257610309.jpg

This seller has just a little too much "interesting" looking VN stuff listed. And, he appears to know his stuff, but does not use the word "original" in any of his listings. If I had a rare jacket I knew to be original, I would definitely state that in my sales ad. Big red flags for me. I wouldn't touch this one.

Kurt

I not to crazy about the wings or the name tapes.Maybe Bill will jump in and give us his opinion.Looking forward to Gills input too.

RD

Corpsmancollector

I wouldn't be able to hazard a guess, I'm still a newbie to Vietnam but very interested in marine recon. I look forward to other members input.

Will

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;hl=castle+584

There was a discussion about another uniform this seller had a while ago. It seems some of the uniforms he has had were real but a whole lot are not. From what Ive seen of his items, I wouldnt trust any of his stuff unless there was documentation or something to go with it. Too many of his things that Ive seen are very questionable. A lot of the patches seem to of been sewn on with very similar threads, especially the white, and some uniforms are obviously put-togethers. I dont get a good feeling about any of his stuff, even the somewhat simple uniforms.

As for the shirt this thread is about, the patches look like pretty bad fakes to me.

My first question is has anyone ever seen a Force Recon jungle fatigue shirt with a shoulder patch on it?

The jump wing does look odd.It also makes you wonder why you have a hand embroidered Force Recon wing and the sewing machine made jump wing. Of course it is possible but they do look odd together.

I need to check on the collar rank as well. Did the Marines use embroidered sewn on rank or strictly metal collar rank.

Several red flags for a $400 item.

As noted, this Seller seems to have a constant stream of knock out Viet Nam era uniforms.

Manchu Warrior

I was looking at another uniform this seller has up and I made some observations and I have a few questions. The uniform is the Special Forces uniform he has up #22050832745. First, I am curious as to when the Army stopped using the gold and black name tape? And I was also wondering why the soldiers name tape looks like it just came off of a brand new pair of BDUs and does not look like it has been on a uniform for the past forty years. In reality the only uniforms that I have that the name tape looks that good are the couple of sets of BDUs that were issued to me that I have never worn. Also, all the patches on the uniform all look to be in good shape and then there is some inconsistency with the Special Forces patch. The tab is all frayed while everything else looks clean. And since the uniform does not show the same wear as the tab I have to ask why would such a high speed soldier but such a ragged tab on an otherwise clean uniform? Were the tabs that hard to find at the time? I also have another more general observation. On many of his uniforms he claims that the name tapes are Vietnamese made when they look just like the name tapes that were on uniforms that were issued to me in Korea back in the 1990's. My point being is that I guess you really have to know your uniforms and what units were stationed where because the unknowing could think they are buying a uniform that was worn in Vietnam when in reality it came from 1960's era Korea. Or who knows? Maybe the names tapes date to the 1990's era Korea.

post-1412-1257698369.jpg

My two cents is that this SF jacket is more a "souped up" one that a pure fake.

ARVN wings, US wings and CIB look legit to the jacket. The rest of the insignias have been added by someone who has no clue of regulations. SF and JFK center SSIs must have been re-sewn in ghost traces. The name tape is a current issue item.

I have never seen embroidered rank insignia like that-I served in force recon in the '70's and some vietnam veterans had those skull and jumpwings on PT gear but not on any uniform item