Women in Hawaii in service

vostoktrading

Neat picture!

What is interesting to me is all the non-standard items the ladies have. The ARC lady in the center clearly has a private purchase handbag, and the OCD girl is wearing peeptoe shoes! I am also really curious about the hat the OCD girl is wearing. Really interesting! It looks more like a civilian style so I would guess that's just what it was - a civvy hat in a matching shade to her uniform. Although, I have seen a few pictures of ARC ladies wearing a similar style hat in the dark wool to match their uniforms, but cannot find any documentation that it was ever authorized or issued to them.

vostoktrading

This is from the first half of 1942. Pearl Harbor and Hickam Field are still smoking, so to speak. Hawaii is under Martial Law. The Battle of Midway has not occured yet. The Japanese could invade Hawaii at any time (this was a very real feeling among the population here at this time). They were at the top of their game at this point. All things are getting hard to get with rationing (except for pineapples, I suppose).

I suppose these women must have been using some non-standard items in their uniforms at this point of the war. It's an interesting photo from early US involvement in WW2.