MARINE ENLISTED CAMPAIGN COVER

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

After being dropped in 1942 the Marine campaign cover was first purchased in relatively small numbers for issue to Recruit Depot DI's in 1956. Then officially authorized for Recruit Depot and rifle range personnel in 1960-1961. This hat was one of the first production by Stetson with a contract date of fiscal 1961. It has the ww2 pattern ega emblem and cordovan brown leather band and chin strap. It's a very well made hat.

post-4-1256402743.jpg

post-4-1256402766.jpg

Greg Robinson
Wow, great shape, too! She's a beaut, good find!

Semper,

Ski

Ski

THANKS...the dealer who sold it to me years ago called it "ww2" since it had belonged to a WW2 vet. Being an honest guy, he offered to take it back when I found the dated contract markings behind the headband, despite this being years after I had bought it. But by then I'd grown attached to it so said no thanks......I'm keeping it.

Stetson sure made a nice hat back in those days. :D

Greg

Greg Robinson

marked inside the headband behind the STETSON maker mark.......... HAT, SERVICE, OD, FELT. Contract number dated 31 July 1960. John B. Stetson Co. Size 7.

Greg Robinson

Here's a 1938 dated enlisted cover for comparison. Same "montana peak" design but note the lighter color shade and difference in leather strap. And it has a pre ww2 ega emblem.

In my opinion, the 1960 Stetson is a better made hat.

post-4-1256721826.jpg