MARINE OFFICER'S CAMPAIGN COVER

Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

The campaign hat, deleted from the authorized uniform list in 1942, was reinstated in 1960-1961 for Marine rifle range personnel. I'm trying to put together a correct officer's cover from that period. The hat is N S MEYER and may be WW2 period. The officer's grade emblem is also N S MEYER and the ww 2 pattern. But I'm not sure about the hat cord.....does it look right?

Thanks

Greg

post-4-1256387434.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Greg, quite sure there are only two hat cords are authorized for wear on the Marine Corps campaign cover. A gold cord for Generals, and scarlet and gold for Officers, Warrant Officers and Commissioned.

Greg Robinson
BTW - Here's a moth eaten relic that I bought to get the EGA..... :w00t:

Yeah....that's the pre WW2 Marine officer's hat cord.....I believe the 1960's and later are different. Watching the History Channel one day I saw the documentary on Marine scout snipers and they showed a photo of an officer from the Viet Nam period wearing a campaign cover.....and the cord looked similar to mine. I'm just trying to confirm this.

So what did the emblem look like that came off that hat?

Greg

teufelhunde.ret
Yeah....that's the pre WW2 Marine officer's hat cord.....I believe the 1960's and later are different.

So what did the emblem look like that came off that hat?

Greg

Greg, I'm not really sure if they are different...??? Hopefully someone will come along and confirm / correct?

It had a pre WW2 M37 service emblem in bronze that was void in my collection - no one seemed interested due to the condition of the cover - I could not care as the EGA / cord was worth far more than my bid :lol:

s/f Darrell

Greg Robinson
Greg, I'm not really sure if they are different...??? Hopefully someone will come along and confirm / correct?

It had a pre WW2 M37 service emblem in bronze that was void in my collection - no one seemed interested due to the condition of the cover - I could not care as the EGA / cord was worth far more than my bid :lol:

s/f Darrell

Darrell

You're right....the hat cord alone has significant collector value. And the emblem sounds like a real gem. :D

I own an enlisted Marine campaign cover that was made by Stetson to a 1960-1961 contract. It's all original and right and is a beautiful, well made hat. I'm trying to put together one from the same time period worn by an officer.

Appreciate the help...as always. :)

Greeg

Greg Robinson

What about you Marines currently serving at recruit depots and/or rifle ranges?.....Brig? Does my hat cord look like what's worn by officers today? If what I have on my campaign cover is not correct then I don't want to leave it on there.

THANKS

Greg

Schnicklfritz

Hi Greg,

I ran across a hat that the seller advertised as USMC with a cord like your's in Post #1, only that the hat was named inside the sweatband to a person in a Costal Artillery unit. I can't say for sure, but I believe that Marine cords from the time period that your wanting should look like the one in Post # 3.

Greg Robinson
Hi Greg,

I ran across a hat that the seller advertised as USMC with a cord like your's in Post #1, only that the hat was named inside the sweatband to a person in a Costal Artillery unit. I can't say for sure, but I believe that Marine cords from the time period that your wanting should look like the one in Post # 3.

Thanks....maybe I should use the repro cord I have. It's a fairly close copy of the one Darrell has and would do until I got lucky and found an original.

Greg

Greg Robinson

reproduction hat cord.....it does look better since both the hat and emblem are WW2 vintage. Hat was made by GW ALEXANDER & CO INC and sold by N S MEYER NEW YORK. Emblem is hallmarked NS MEYER.

post-4-1256481330.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Thanks....maybe I should use the repro cord I have. It's a fairly close copy of the one Darrell has and would do until I got lucky and found an original.

Greg

Lets make a deal? ;)

post_376_1256389714.jpg

Here is one I was able to find. I did have a current set of officer's cords but they went to live with a collector in Texas. If I remember they were much more red checkered than the older striped versions.

post-569-1256483682.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Here is one I was able to find. I did have a current set of officer's cords but they went to live with a collector in Texas. If I remember they were much more red checkered than the older striped versions.

Great looking cover Mark. Interesting to note both covers have the same Meyer emblem, surprising coincidence... s/f Darrell

Greg Robinson

I've now installed an officer's hat cord and this campaign cover, while a "put together" is correct with original components and is a fine looking ww2 period and later Marine officer's cover.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED.

Semper Fi

Greg

Greg Robinson
I've now installed an officer's hat cord and this campaign cover, while a "put together" is correct with original components and is a fine looking ww2 period and later Marine officer's cover.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED.

Semper Fi

Greg

PIC................

post-4-1256745360.jpg

• 1 month later...

good thread and useful, thanks.

I've got an M1911 by stetson that looks like it's from the inter-war period (say 1919, early '20s), and came with a WWII ARMY col's leather cav. boots, leather puttees and officer's 'garrison belt' (really, sam browne) w/leather holster frog and lelather 1st-aid pouch.

I accentuate ARMY b/c it's got only 3 vents - like the early USMC P1912 - not 4 like the army models have.

could this be a Marine leftover that wound up on an army officer's head?

thanks heaps!

david

Great looking cover!!! Happy to help - sorry the PO went postal with the box... no wonder they are in debt. s/f Darrell

• 3 months later...
Greg Robinson

Just picked up another officer's scarlet and gold hat cord. Always nice to have a spare.

Greg

post-4-1267535512.jpg