Oops, I did it again

Proud Kraut

You guys really infected me. I built my last model about 25 years ago. After seeing all these wonderfull models here, I have had to try my luck again. I'm afraid my modeling skils are a bit rusty, especially regarding the figure, but I could not abstain from trying it one more time...

Some months ago I found this model of the "Airgeep". I did a little research and found out that this experimental kind of a helicopter was tested by the Army 1958. And yes, it worked: http://www.unmannedaircraft.org/page/page/1357250.htm

It's a 1/35 model from "Glencoe Models", well done except the including figures. I have had to add a self-made "pilot". This is the model before building it.

Modell.jpg

This was the original crew. That's it for today.

Lars

P.S.: Model instruction says, that one prototype of the Airgeep is displayed at the US Army Transportation Museum in Fort Eutis, Virginia.

Pia3.jpg

Wierd and bizarre. If I recall correctly the Army abandoned such vechicles when they deteremined they were too vulnerable to small arms fire. Also, this was about the time that the Army was developing the UH-1 and decided that full fledged helicopters were more practical.

As I recall, this was a fairly rare model kit as well. The ground troops look like recast MARX Toys soldiers from the 1960's, which just adds to the nostalgic look. Nice item!

• 2 weeks later...

You've taken the proverbial sow's ear and turned it into a silk purse, Lars. That Glenco kit is a real tough one to get decent results from. Congrats on a nice build of a hard kit!