Lt. Jerome Keith, Observer, AEF, Issoudun, France - WWI

IMPERIAL QUEST

Several thoughts on this thread:

1) Steve, what a great letter! These sorts of things are what bring a specific area of collecting to life, IMO. Not my area of collecting, but thanks for sharing. I'm amazed at the detail he wrote back to his folks, and then passed as having been censored...wasn't there an intel school at Issoudun?

2) Teufelhund, merci for the clarification on musique(FR) = band(EN)! I didn't expect my dwindling French vocabulary to expand on the Forum today :)

3) For the American readers out there, who haven't been to France, you'd be amazed how friendly the majority of people are (especially if you're friendly, first)...particularly if you can make ANY effort to speak the language. I've had a great time visiting with locals in Belleau and Normandy, (and Bastogne, too!).

Thrasher

IMPERIAL QUEST

@ Darrel & (Not Darrell) - Thank you both for your contributions to the post.

@ Dennis- It seems that I have stumbled into an area where much information has been lost/forgotten. It will be a lot of fun trying to track down leads on Issoudun. I find it strange for what was at one time the largest training field, there is so little on record, or so it would seem. The book in French posted in this thread is the first I have seen or heard of.

@ Thrasher- I too was very surprised at the detail that was allowed to pass the censors, especially concerning the description of the Nieuport and training techniques used at Issoudun. But Of course, it is possible that what was described was probably already known information by the Germans, so that is probably why it was allowed. As far as an Intelligence School, I really am not sure as information on the site is sparse, but hopefully I will find out in my searching.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Steve,

I have a feeling some more will come out of the basement, er......................woodwork later.

Dennis

:whistling: :thumbsup:

teufelhund

@ Darrel & (Not Darrell) - Thank you both for your contributions to the post.

@ Dennis- It seems that I have stumbled into an area where much information has been lost/forgotten. It will be a lot of fun trying to track down leads on Issoudun. I find it strange for what was at one time the largest training field, there is so little on record, or so it would seem. The book in French posted in this thread is the first I have seen or heard of.

In case you have difficulties to obtain this book, I can order it on your behalf and send it back to you.

My perso intention is to order this book, there is no problems whatshoever to order a second one

regards

T

teufelhund

http://www.usaww1.com/3rd-AIC-Issoudun.php4

3rd AIC Issoudun to be Honored

Please attend our special event at Issoudun on June 28, 2009. Issoudun will hold a very special World War I commemoration of the friendship and bonds between the United States and France. Our event marks the 90th Anniversary of the closing of the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center of the United States at Issoudun, France.

During World War I, the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center was the largest overseas American air base. It was the primary location for training all American fighter pilots and also many of the pilots of the other areas of combat aviation. All front line fighter pilots including Eddie Rickenbacker, Frank Luke and Quentin Roosevelt trained here. Issoudun’s importance to American combat aviation cannot be underestimated.

By the time of the Armistice, 766 pursuit pilots had completed their training at Issoudun, of whom 139 were retained at Issoudun as testers, staff pilots and instructors. The remaining 627 were sent to the Zone of Advance. The school’s first graduate was Eddie Rickenbacker. Hamilton Coolidge, who would go on to shoot down eight German planes was the fifth graduate and Quentin Roosevelt was seventh. 171 Americans died here in training accidents.

Our June 28, 2009 date corresponds to the departure of the American Expeditionary Force after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles of 1919 in which U.S. President Woodrow Wilson and French President Georges Clemenceau exerted such a tremendous influence.

We intend to use our ceremony entitled “The American Presence 1917-1919” with the goal of shining a light on a forgotten page of the history of our two countries. On this occasion at the Volvault Monument honoring the American dead of Issoudun we will unveil plaques in French and in English reading:

"At this site was situated the temporary American cemetery for the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center of the United States (1917-1919). This center, composed of 7 camps, 11 landing fields and 2 field hospitals, covered a surface of 1,300 hectares near Issoudun, and was the largest air base at the time.

7,500 people were stationed here and the elite of the American pilots such as (Eddie Rickenbacker, Quentin Roosevelt, Frank Luke, Raoul Lufbery, James Meissner, Reed Chambers, Douglas Campbell, etc.) were trained here under the successive commands of General Carl "Tooey" Spaatz, Colonels Walter G. Kilner, and Hiram Bingham.

On the bronze plaques of this monument, 171 names recall the sacrifice of the children of the United States in the service of their nation in the first global conflict, which perpetuated the friendship between the United States and France."

This Franco-American event will serve as an occasion to remember our American friends and the historic alliance which has united France and the United States since their foundation with the same ideas regarding liberty and progress. I submit to you that this alliance remains lively and strong.

The event of June 28, 2009 will be framed within this context and will permit us to further the long history of our mutual friendship.

The French Air Force will participate in our commemoration with the presence of a 40 person military band and a 30 person honor guard.

We would be very honored if you would attend our commemoration ceremony.

Bernard Gagnepain

E-mail us for more information.

File under:

3rd AIC

3rd Aviation Instruction Center

Issoudun

June 28, 2009

Eddie Rickenbacker, Quentin Roosevelt, Frank Luke, Raoul Lufbery, James Meissner, Reed Chambers, Douglas Campbell

Belleauwood

Steve,

It was common practice for officers to censor their own mail and slip in it the outbox. Units that were not at the front seemed to have more liberty in what they could include in the mail than those units close to or at the front. Specifics about movements or units were the big no-no, esp. by the enlisted ranks. I'm not implying that there were volumes of mail that didn't reach the eyes of the censor, but there was much more than one might imagine, esp. the officer's mail. If you look at enough of the officer's mail, you'll see their name on the envelope and being their own censor.

DJ

Steve,

The intel school I was thinking of was at Langres; which was much closer to the front than Issoudun (but still in a rear area). I was thinking that perhaps Langres was part of the big complex at Issoudun, but I found two Issoudun entries on a map of France, one in Limousin and the other I'm not certain of; they are 195 miles and 168 miles (314km/271km), respectively, from Langres. So, my little theory is BURST.

Amazing what one finds after pulling the sources and a little mapping...

Thrasher

teufelhund
Steve,

The intel school I was thinking of was at Langres; which was much closer to the front than Issoudun (but still in a rear area). I was thinking that perhaps Langres was part of the big complex at Issoudun, but I found two Issoudun entries on a map of France, one in Limousin and the other I'm not certain of; they are 195 miles and 168 miles (314km/271km), respectively, from Langres. So, my little theory is BURST.

Amazing what one finds after pulling the sources and a little mapping...

Thrasher

Issoudun is situated between Bourges ans Chateauroux, in the french department of INDRE

In the immediate vicinity of the big US camps of Saint Aignan ( Saint Oinion) Gievres , Romorantin

28gs3so.jpg

Teufelhud

IMPERIAL QUEST
In case you have difficulties to obtain this book, I can order it on your behalf and send it back to you.

My perso intention is to order this book, there is no problems whatshoever to order a second one

regards

T

Thank you, that is very thoughtful. I'll be in touch soon. ;)

Thank you so very much guys for the maps, censorship information and all of the other great information. I appreciate your efforts very much guys...thanks!