Experimental "Moss" helmet?

AK101

I saw a helmet earlier today, front seam/swivel, it has a thick coating on it the guy says was a short lived "moss" coating.

The helmet is heavy FWIW...

Anyone ever heard of any WWII experimental coatings or is this some fantasy fake? Guy is not trying to retire on the sale @ $25 that is for sure..... think.gif

I saw a helmet earlier today, front seam/swivel, it has a thick coating on it the guy says was a short lived "moss" coating.

The helmet is heavy FWIW...

Anyone ever heard of any WWII experimental coatings or is this some fantasy fake? Guy is not trying to retire on the sale @ $25 that is for sure..... think.gif

I am sure that this is legit I have seen this before, is it just like a really thick and heavy cork texture?

Anyways if I were you I would just get it and if you don't want it I will buy it from you!!!!

p.s I'm not kidding , I actually will buy it from you if you get it and want to move it on. PM me if you do thumbsup.gif

OK, they only reason I did not pick it up before is that you can tell that the bails had been brazed on, or rather the "tabs"?, retainers?, I have no idea what the term is for the part that the bail attaches too. The color of the the braze material is a yellowish brass material.

If I have a chance I will try to snag it this week......hopefully it is still there. thumbsup.gif

is it just like a really thick and heavy cork texture?

I am not a helmet guy, but yes that is my feeling on it.

sgtdorango

so heres my "moss" helmet....very thick sand/concrete like covering, hard to photograph but quite obvious to the touch and look in person, very heavy, noticeably heavier than the regular M1..I am thinking about selling this baby if someone is interested...mike

post-350-1244161871.jpg

I found a MOSS helmet at the army surplus store for only $10 but I didnt buy it

the coating was extra thick, looked like a thick saw dust texture of some type? it didnt look like a sand finish, I was thinking of buying it but passed, I put it next to another WWII shell and noticed the MOSS helmet was extra high or had a higher dome plus the thick coating, it was about a 1/2" higher than a standard shell, I should have bought it.

I remember it had a front seam and swivel bales