CS button

theinsigne

Hello I was wondering if anyone would recognize this button, it looks like it has a CS on it I was thinking possibly a Texas or Mississippi but I can’t find anything just like it. Thanks for any input!

659D5F9E-F171-4BAD-A159-065C2CCD30D0.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Doesn’t look like any Texas or Mississippi buttons that I recognize.

Paul

4th Miss Cav

I don’t think it is a Civil War period military button. Possibly a civilian flat button but I think it is later. 

• 2 weeks later...
theinsigne

Why the CSa, it definitely has the age to it?

Capt.Confederacy

Unfortunately, it is a possibility that the button may be post-war made or perhaps even a civilian one.  Concerning the former, US button makers did reproduce Confederate buttons for sale to ex-Southern troops for replacements on their old war uniforms or for wear at UCV events.  If someone had lost one of these, say in 1890, and it stayed in the ground since then, it would look very old.  

If you can discern a backmark on the button, that would help identifying the time period.

danimal03

hello,

I specialize in pre-1865 buttons.  This item matches no known Confederate button.  The construction does not even look correct.  I concur it is a civilian device.  I have never seen a UCV button like this either.  Though not impossible; but without proof I would doubt that.  Now a former Confederate soldier may have liked it and worn it, but they could also wear 1840's Maine star buttons because it had a star on it.  I also have dug several commercial items with stars on them over the years that had age.  My hunch is this is late 19th to early 20th century. 

theinsigne

Thanks for all the responses, here are a few photos with a couple other buttons that was found with it

395542BB-41D2-4D4A-B2FA-526B2D884BAD.jpeg

7C58CB53-1B5D-4F85-A320-7DAFE8C2DB2F.jpeg