Welcome to the "Art at War Collection"

I have always wanted to showcase something on this forum but I wanted to have a name for my collection first. I have decided to call it the "Art at War Collection" since I primarily focus on photography.

Here are six 33rd Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron, 9th Army Air Force group photographs. I have not gotten around to researching these men yet, but I am going to begin doing so soon. 

While serving as part of the 9th Air Force in the European Theater of Operations, the 33rd Photo Reconnaissance Squadron was at various times part of three groups: the 10th Photographic Group (Reconnaissance), the 67th Reconnaissance Group, and the 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Group. Each group was part of a different tactical air command (TAC): IX TAC, XIX TAC, and XXIX TAC. The periodic reorganizations of these groups reflected both the growing responsibility of the 9th Air Force as well as evolving military doctrines of how best to coordinate the resources of unarmed photo reconnaissance squadrons, armed tactical reconnaissance squadrons, and night photo recon squadrons. Photo recon squadrons like the 33rd PRS flew the F-4/F-5 adaptation of Lockheed's P-38 Lightning fighter.

While serving with these groups, the 33rd PRS officially participated in the following campaigns: Air Offensive, Europe, July 4, 1942 to June 5, 1944, Normandy, June 6, 1944 to July 24, 1944, Northern France, July 25, 1944 to September 14, 1944, Rhineland, September 15, 1944 to March 21, 1945, Ardennes-Alsace, December 16, 1944 to January 25, 1945, and Central Europe, March 22, 1945 to May 11, 1945.

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg