Need Translation of German Newspaper Heading

siege1863

siege1863

Ran this through Google Translate but question the result.  It is in regard to the surrender of the Afrika Korps on 13 May 1943.  

”Der Heldenkampf in Tunis ruhmvoll abgeschlossen”

Need it for an exhibit I am doing soon.

Thanks.

Blacksmith

“The heroic battle in Tunis completed gloriously”?

That’s a literal software translation, but you’d likely be better served with a translation from a native German speaker - to get the conversational translation.

siege1863

Yeah, the Google translation is “awkward.”  Being the entire Afrika Korps was just surrendered, I wonder how it is reported the battle/campaign ended “gloriously.”

Legion72

The Heroic battle in Tunis has ended.   Don't see "glorious" in any of this.  The German press is just trying to put a good face on the surrender.   My opinion of this.

Hope it helps some?

Legion72

Oh well I do see how REHMVOLL comes out glorious translation.  So the press is really doing it's best to make it look "good."

I think the google translation is accurate.  The article says the battle was completed (or ended or finished etc, take your pick), but it doesn't say the battle was lost.   I don't think it's an objective news report.  I think it's propaganda.  I am not a native speaker, but I can speak and write German.

Proud Kraut
12 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

“The heroic battle in Tunis completed gloriously”?

That’s a literal software translation, but you’d likely be better served with a translation from a native German speaker - to get the conversational translation.

I think that´s a perfect translation.

siege1863

Thanks to everyone who replied.  I will go with the Google translation.  It makes an interesting contrast to the headline from the NYT.  I will be displaying the papers together.

IMG_1301.jpeg.a67968f5d53bcca1cf8f30544962d9c9.jpegIMG_1306.gif.139d8d71fbf3e667979aa3bcf85f3585.gif