Hello, From New England

Indian Head

Indian Head

Hello,

Thanks for accepting me onto this forum. I mainly collect WWII 2nd Infantry Division related material, as well as identified items from Infantrymen who fought in the Normandy campaign. I have also been researching and studying independent airborne units in WWII as well for a number of years. I look forward to sharing some pieces from my collection with you all. I also have been compiling a roster of the 2nd ID during WWII, and would happy to be of assistance researching members of the "Indian Head" division. 

Thanks 

David 

344778768_685394833396518_3680932656724671029_n.jpg.ae4f351769ecc4274f2fc0efd375a436.jpg

deddygetty

Welcome, Indian Head. My dad was right next to 2d Infantry Division on the northern shoulder at the beginning of the Bulge. He was with 99th Infantry Division, 99th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop. When he came home from the war in 1947, his first stateside assignment was the Indianhead division. He was still with them when the Korean War broke out and he spent 10 months in combat with them 1950-51, from the desperate battle to break out of the Pusan perimeter to near the Yalu River on the Chinese border and back beyond the 38th parallel, the entire length of the Korean peninsula and halfway back, including when the 2d Division was trapped at "The Gauntlet" and nearly wiped out by the Chinese in late November 1950. Indianhead was the first division to arrive in Korea directly from the US when the war broke out. They left from Fort Lewis just minutes from where I live. This was the division's home for many years, and I think part of the division might still be here. The rest is in Korea on the DMZ where they have been for much of the Cold War and since.

Indian Head

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, as well as sharing your fathers story with me!