Is this a WWII dog tag chain?

Lt. Walker

Lt. Walker

Hi:  I recently purchased a silver chain that was sold to me as a private purchase WII dog tag chain.  While it’s an over-the-head chain with no clasp and the links are somewhat similar to M-1940 chains, I’m baffled by the lack of hooks and an extension chain.  Those probably wouldn’t have been on it because there’s no round link for an attachment point.  Was I sold a bill of goods here?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mike 

IMG_4593.jpeg

IMG_4594.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

Uniforms of the Day

Mike, a lot of soldiers and sailors wore tags, and other sentimental nick-nacks on custom / private purchase chains. Even if it is not an issue type chain, it could very well still be a chain that was used for dog tags. But, without the tags, there is no way to be certain.

Brian Dentino

I have a WWII USN PBY pilot grouping that had his tags on this chain pictured here.  So as Uniforms of the Day stated a lot of soldiers, sailors, and airmen used custom items they liked.  During the war, regs were not nearly as strictly enforced as they were in the post war era so I am sure there are a ton of "personal" choice items like a dog tag chains were used.  Heck, even order of precedence of ribbon bars was not strictly adhered to as demonstrated by tons of what we would call "wrong" ribbon bars found on uniforms of vets as found.

chain.jpg