U.S. Cavalryman 1917 Painting

I thought I would share this oil painting I have by WW1 French war Artist Raymond Desvarreux, as can be seen it was painted in France in 1917. Raymond had served in the French army and saw action in 1914 until being declared unfit due to injury, he served as a war artist painting French and Allied soldiers. Many of his paintings are in the Imperial War Museum London and the Musée de l’Armée in Paris, three of his paintings of African American soldiers are held in the West Point Museum. Raymond carried a commission from the French government to paint allied soldiers along with a letter signed by General Pershing giving permission.

This painting is of a mounted cavalryman painted in 1917, there is some faded writing on the back of the frame I have yet to decipher, what cannot be seen are the details of the subject in the upper left corner of the painting, I can just make out US cavalry and Supply Sergeant so far, Desvarreux recorded quite a few details in many of his paintings such as the subjects name, rank and unit. I have not attempted any cleaning myself as I think it would need a professional, I would not want to cause any damage. Hopefully at some stage I will be able to discover the subjects name and details. The black paint as can be seen is cracked in places but appears much worse in the photo than in reality.

Kurt.

IMG_2343.jpg.4069d3aa9db7804e72d8f36c123e3452.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg.ee80f1d813962267b3daf2d2fe006311.jpg

Hi Mitch

I hoped you would enjoy seeing it, hopefully I can decipher his name and unit at some point.

Kurt

Castle_Keep

The painting is a genuine treasure and looks fantastic.  

Congratulations 

Patrick 

bertmedals

Great find and excellent research and historical background as well.  You sure don't see his WW1 soldier painting in the wild very often.  Thanks for posting it.  

Dennis