Questions about a 80's very good knife, the Gerber LMF 1st model

Opinel

Hello everybody,

Just have some questions about the well known 80's Gerber LMF model 1.

It's not only a "baby" BMF, it's a very good and rought knife, really make in the US (not as actual LMF2 ........😒).

I'm lucky to have one, used but still ready!

My main question is : Is there a way to find the story of knife (as Gerber Mk2 daggers) with blade number ?

I only have few informations, and sometimes, it's difficult to understand.

My informations are about shape of blade,

LMF1Generation(1).jpg.4f18c976c4d72e54b0c08961e5f004ff.jpg

But sometimes, numbers are strange if it's drop point or false edge ...

See next pictures.

Thanks in advance for answers,

Regards,

Marco

Picture of mine (number 016581), and last picture with the "ugly" actual model . from Chi......... (I don't want to know 😣)...........

LMF1 number016581 (1).jpg

LMF1 actual made in china (1).jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

I haven’t found any online listing of the serial number codes such as are available for the Gerber Mark II. But, I think that Blade Forums would be a better information source: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gerber-lmf.132208/

It looks like you have already identified a resource with the limited information you have.

The LMF was introduced in August of 1987 and went through 4 blade shapes with Saw Teeth Version or No Saw Teeth.  The LMF run ended in 1999 with the blade marked "Final Production Run" Electro etched on the serial number side of the blade.  Cabela's had a run of LMF knives that had a Brown handle and Sheath.  The sheaths had 4 different Gerber stitched logos on them over the 12 years.  Gerber went on to make the LMF II knife that was introduced in 2005 that has more of a Combat Knife design.  Gerber also came out with a knife that looked very similar to the original LMF called the Steadfast in 2007.  The Steadfast was made in China, where the LMF and LMF II were made in the USA.  To date, I know of no one who has compiled "The Story" of the LMF with a complete list of serial numbers.  Several years ago, I believe an individual by the name of Daniel Nighteyes (who went by the forum name Coddger) was doing research on the Gerber LMF and BMF.  He had compiled a great deal on information on these knives and suddenly passed away without completing the work.  If I am wrong on the name of Daniel Nighteyes / Coddger, I apologize as I can no longer find the forum information.  He had compiled the information from several different forums.  

An issue with collecting these knives is that there are very few (but not all) good used examples left.  The media blasted 440 stainless steel rusted in their sheaths when left unattended. It is hard to clean rusted examples without obvious scars left on the knives.  Also, the rust would turn many of the black sheath to an orange shade with the stitching turning orange.  Good examples do exist and with the different variations.  Opinel, I hope I have answered you questions.  If you have any more, I will let you know what I know.     

LMF profiles1.jpg

LMFFnlRn-4 copy.jpeg

IMG_5356.JPG

Hi Opseccc,

I didn't expect so much informations about LMF.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Marco