Span-Am Infantry uniform and Story

blademan

Hello,

I have recently acquired a Sack Coat, Kepi, and 1914 dated Patton Saber (not pictured) that belonged to a William Robert Ross. Although the kepi and jacket are pretty moth eaten, and the patton saber rusty, I think they tell an interesting story.

From my preliminary research, William entered service in 1894 (based on his enlistment document found on -line) and with the possession of a 1914 dated Patton saber he likely ended up as a Cavalry Trooper. His Kepi has the insigna of the 22nd Infantry Co. H. Based on his family's verbal history, he fought along side Teddy Roosevelt on San Juan Hill. According to the history of this unit found on-line, this unit was the first regiment to land in Cuba and faught every battle on the island, to include San Juan hill, and continued to the Phillipines in early 1899 to fight against the insurgents. In cuba, of 513 officer's and men, only 165 survived.

I have included a few pictures of the kepi and jacket and one of William and his wife in civilian cloths. The family says they have a picture of William in uniform on a horse they will give me if it can be found.

If anyone can provide any additional information on this trooper's service history or can direct me to a unit roster with his name on it it would be appreciated. I am working on his history and will set up a display at an upcoming Vet's or Memorail day to honor this Veteran.

Finally, can anyone help me with the best way to patch/hide large moth holes that will make presentation of these items better (I may leave alone)?

Thanks in advance,

Blademan

post-215-1237738362.jpg

post-215-1237738429.jpg

post-215-1237738626.jpg

post-215-1237738773.jpg

Hello,

I have recently acquired a Sack Coat, Kepi, and 1914 dated Patton Saber (not pictured) that belonged to a William Robert Ross. Although the kepi and jacket are pretty moth eaten, and the patton saber rusty, I think they tell an interesting story.

From my preliminary research, William entered service in 1894 (based on his enlistment document found on -line) and with the possession of a 1914 dated Patton saber he likely ended up as a Cavalry Trooper. His Kepi has the insigna of the 22nd Infantry Co. H. Based on his family's verbal history, he fought along side Teddy Roosevelt on San Juan Hill. According to the history of this unit found on-line, this unit was the first regiment to land in Cuba and faught every battle on the island, to include San Juan hill, and continued to the Phillipines in early 1899 to fight against the insurgents. In cuba, of 513 officer's and men, only 165 survived.

I have included a few pictures of the kepi and jacket and one of William and his wife in civilian cloths. The family says they have a picture of William in uniform on a horse they will give me if it can be found.

If anyone can provide any additional information on this trooper's service history or can direct me to a unit roster with his name on it it would be appreciated. I am working on his history and will set up a display at an upcoming Vet's or Memorail day to honor this Veteran.

Finally, can anyone help me with the best way to patch/hide large moth holes that will make presentation of these items better (I may leave alone)?

Thanks in advance,

Blademan

Very nice historical pieces. If I had the item I would not attempt to repair the moth holes due to the age and condition of the material.

Thanks for your replies.

Keith, Thanks for the website link. I did go to this site and found it helpful.

Thanks,

Blademan