USN Reference books

kchickenlord

I don't see a sticky for this, but is there a list of references people are using for USN insignia? I'm a blank slate when it comes to this and I'm looking to go through a sack of USN insignia I've built up over the years and figure out what everything is. I need decent references on everything from wings and squadron patches to enlisted rating patches. 

Salvage Sailor

Scroll down here for many of the online USN reference book links -->> NAVAL BOARD DIRECTORY AND REFERENCE LINKS

We have many of the collectors newsletters and guides pinned in our Ranks and Rates section which will be helpful to you

NAVY, COAST GUARD AND OTHER SEA SERVICES For NAVY & COAST GUARD ranks & rates

BullionMarks001.jpg.85dd8361bd77f226fa8cdc9b5d4c45a0.jpg

For Vessels of the US Navy, you'll find many of the patches here under the individual hull numbers & types (Cruisers, Destroyers, etc.)

NavSource Naval History - Photographic History Of The U.S. Navy (including patches)

DD843USSWARRINGTON002.jpg.eb7816e19602929f9686b61ab4fb8ad6.jpg

Wings & Squadron Patches?  Post away and the members will point you in the right directions.

Start here on the USMF in the Wings section & the Naval Aviation topics

CVW19IndianCountry1972001.jpg.bc0d36497d7bcaad3b9524201347e8e7.jpg

When you need specifics or reach an impasse on an item, just pose the question in the proper section and we'll chime in with more specific resources (published sources, online collections, Naval History & Heritage Center, etc.)

Aloha