Named NAF 1092S with question

wildcat123

Interesting named flight helmet.  It appears it has been modified by removing the ear cups and rotating them 180 degrees so the wires pass out the front.  Anyone seen this before?  

I think I have the veteran identified, his obit talks about him being a navigator/gunner.  His name was Charles L Scrivner.  Info from obit is below.

Charles was raised in Sweet Springs, graduating from high school there and attending the V-12 Navy College Training Program at Central Methodist College in Fayette, MO, after which he enlisted in the Navy in 1943 and was discharged in 1946. He served his country as a navigator/gunner in naval aircraft crews in the Pacific Theater. 

72205135216__1FF74905-C443-4B95-9137-FCFB653A4861.jpeg

IMG_8494.jpeg

IMG_8495.jpeg

IMG_8496.jpeg

IMG_8497.jpeg

IMG_8498.jpeg

IMG_8499.jpeg

IMG_8500.jpeg

IMG_8501.jpeg

Nice flight helmet!  The only thing that I can think of is this helmet was using black or brown TH-37 earphone elements with cables that were used in USN/USMC headsets.

Possibly a cable and plug for each earphone element.  Cloth covered or rubber covered cables.  Hope this helps.

Look at this WW2 US NAVY Flying magazine:

image.png.0b1de304336167516b491f7119ef176b.png

PBY gunner has sewed his ear cups or has a TH-37 headset (hard to tell in 100% but I can see there a black cloth covered double headband?) with 1092L helmet in the same way. The TH-37 Y cord is under his chin? Why, I don't have any idea. This TH-37 is a right side plug example. His position in turret need a left side TH-37 plug. Maybe in this way it is more comfy to use a right side plug TH-37 as a "left" side plug? 

image.png.7b7c22262f62c7eb62add072a16cb298.png

Take care,

Jerry

After a small conversation with my friend Paul - I have to correct my previous post. The gunner in the fact has a headset band with standard TH-37 earphone/loom. It is impossible to attach a TH-37 earphones with standard loom and headband in this configuration in any another direction like that. Loom under your chin. 

Why someone could sewed a ear cups to 1092S helmet in this way - dont have any idea...

take care,

Jerry