MACHETE WITH SHEATH / TYPE A-1 / NO. 48C3639

The Rooster

Greetings all. I just got this Imperial Made Folding survival Machete with sheath and sharpening stone. $125.00 !

Ive been wanting one for a long time and  the price was right. The knife is solid. It opens with a loud solid click locking the blade open. The guard folds up and clicks into place on the bottom of the handguard. It takes some muscle to open it. To close it theres a small lever shown thats held under spring tension. You pull back on the lever and unclick the blade guard and swing it open. Then you pull back the lever again to unlock the blade and close it. It takes more effort to close it than open it and for anyone thinking it might close up on your fingers while swinging it, it wont happen. When it opens and locks it stays that way until you use the unlocking lever or pin. No chance it would ever close up on its own. The thing is rock solid with the sheath and stone and the blade is sharp no knicks or rust anywhere on it. For $125.00 ! No cracks in the bakelite.

Much thanks to thorin6 with the tip on Numrich! These are not WW2 from what I've read they came out in 1948.

DSCF4527 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4528 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4529 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4530 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4531 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4532 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4533 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4534 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4535 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4537 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4538 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4539 - Copy.JPG

DSCF4541 - Copy.JPG

Rooster- good find, been looking for a complete folder w/ sheath for a while. Will eventually find one. Thanks for showing.  SKIP

IMHO, both Korean War and Cold War gear is under appreciated .  I had one of those holsters with a new sharpening stone from a large surplus store in Detroit back in the early 1960's.  It was a huge place, but then again I still a small guy back then.  It was many years later before I learned what that holster was for.

I found out tonight that you have to secure the blade guard into the bottom of the handle until it clicks to

secure the blade in the open position. The release button is only to release the blade guard from the handle. One released

you can close the blade without pushing the release button again.

Its the blade guard locked into position at the bottom of the hand grip that keeps it from closing up while swinging.

Also have a digit wrong in the nomenclature of this item.

Its No. 48C3639 instead of No. 48C3689.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up another one. This time its the knife only. I paid a bit more

for this blade than the whole kit above.....But its in great shape!

36.jpg

33.jpg

22.jpg

32.jpg

The dyeing of WW2 brown gear black took place in both the Air Force and the Marine Corp from what I collected from first hand testimony from those who were there.

I imagine it was true for all branches of service.  While this seems to all be post WW2 in does seem like it occurs at different time frames.

On 12/9/2023 at 1:23 AM, sactroop said:

The dyeing of WW2 brown gear black took place in both the Air Force and the Marine Corp from what I collected from first hand testimony from those who were there.

I imagine it was true for all branches of service.  While this seems to all be post WW2 in does seem like it occurs at different time frames.

I would dye it too if I was going to use it in the field. Makes sense.

Kinda makes me wonder why they produced them in off white?

Good for snow maybe ? .....but nothing else.

Here is another and the last example I have picked up.

4 is my limit on these.

26.jpg

54.jpg

98.jpg

5151.jpg