Military 45 holsters

doyler

As collectors we all have ran across  a few holsters and will see the ones  from WW! and WW2 that have been dyed black when the regulations changed in the latter part of the 1950s . When the brown- russet color leather was replaced by the black color many items were dyed to conform with the new regulations. It is generally accepted that any holster dyed black or dark is "post war" done or used.  I was also in this mind set for many years but had to rethink the norm  due to having one or two in my collection that were direct veteran or estate purchase items and there was no post war service by the vet or any family member. These were WW2 issued and used.

The holsters will be of a black or a cordovan color. Cordovan color was a common color in the ranks of the Unites States marine Corps. Much of the leather from visors on the dress cover to belts and shoes were a cordovan color. Binocular cases were made in cordovan colored leather. Not a far stretch to think that the holsters were dyed cordovan or even black war time.  Ither factors can also change leather color suck as being exposed to water as well as neat's-foot oil  or other leather treatments. All will change the color of the leather over time. Here  I will post photos of holsters that look dyed or have an interesting color. 

THis photo of Marine pilots on Guadal Canal circa 1943 shows a 45 holster which looks dyed. A knife can be seen stowed behind the holster. A leg tie on the holster bieing a lighter color is wrapped around the tip of the holster. 

393220798_10230508552361541_7804603555524661185_n.jpg

I'll chime in with what I've seen over my years of collecting, and for a great while all I messed with were M1911s, M1911A1s and their accessories.....

I'd buy what I could afford (and some that I couldn't), but with holsters I had a 48" X 36" plastic tub filled with hip and shoulder holsters from WW1 to the last issued types (1980s), probably over 40....Even then I still didn't have all the makers. All that being said, I'd say that of what I had that was WW2 dated and in mint, unissued condition ( a few examples were right out of the paper bag) over 95% of them were in the buff, flesh-tone colored leather that we are used to seeing. I found more of a variation on color on the WW1 issued versions (Western Mfg. Co., 1917 date) was almost a caramel color, or cordovan as you have mentioned.

The leg ties were elk skin on the WW1 examples, and went to a much thicker leather tie on the WW2 versions.

I think the examples in the above pics were probably just treated by the owners with something, maybe neats-foot oil, or even beeswax. As far as being dyed, I owned a few WW2 examples that were only dyed black on the front-side when the Army transitioned to black leather in 1955...(?)

• 2 months later...
The Rooster
On 10/17/2023 at 4:07 AM, doyler said:

As collectors we all have ran across  a few holsters and will see the ones  from WW! and WW2 that have been dyed black when the regulations changed in the latter part of the 1950s . When the brown- russet color leather was replaced by the black color many items were dyed to conform with the new regulations. It is generally accepted that any holster dyed black or dark is "post war" done or used.  I was also in this mind set for many years but had to rethink the norm  due to having one or two in my collection that were direct veteran or estate purchase items and there was no post war service by the vet or any family member. These were WW2 issued and used.

The holsters will be of a black or a cordovan color. Cordovan color was a common color in the ranks of the Unites States marine Corps. Much of the leather from visors on the dress cover to belts and shoes were a cordovan color. Binocular cases were made in cordovan colored leather. Not a far stretch to think that the holsters were dyed cordovan or even black war time.  Ither factors can also change leather color suck as being exposed to water as well as neat's-foot oil  or other leather treatments. All will change the color of the leather over time. Here  I will post photos of holsters that look dyed or have an interesting color. 

THis photo of Marine pilots on Guadal Canal circa 1943 shows a 45 holster which looks dyed. A knife can be seen stowed behind the holster. A leg tie on the holster bieing a lighter color is wrapped around the tip of the holster. 

393220798_10230508552361541_7804603555524661185_n.jpg

Hello doyler,

This is not a .45 holster but I thought you might be interested because it has also been dyed black.

326565-Copy.jpg.b492b9647fdc6de700ebfa88f7ab6337.jpg

s-l1600-Copy.jpg.eaa2ec56d0a072ef2cb7c6f297d6d3b8.jpg

DSCF4527-Copy.JPG.ea2dec3866b667c75a02ee3aed0e631f.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
USMC_COLLECTOR

I would say these have been treated like said above. I would even venture to say none of them are black. Take a look at the aircrew holsters, compare it to the color on their shearling coats, almost the same. Also compare the handle of the marine's knife to that of the holster; almost the same, once again probably dark brown. Just thought I would share what I thought.

gbettcher

I have a very nice M2 1942 TEXTAN holster.  It is black and I don’t see a russet finish underneath so am uncertain if it was dyed. Since the regulations didn’t change to black until 1956 it doesn’t make sense that a holster for a M1917 Revolver was still in use after 1956.  I do know that many military police used the M1917 revolver during WW2. Would they have used black holsters?  Opinions please. 
Gary

IMG_5715.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

IMG_5717.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

3 hours ago, gbettcher said:

I have a very nice M2 1942 TEXTAN holster.  It is black and I don’t see a russet finish underneath so am uncertain if it was dyed. Since the regulations didn’t change to black until 1956 it doesn’t make sense that a holster for a M1917 Revolver was still in use after 1956.  I do know that many military police used the M1917 revolver during WW2. Would they have used black holsters?  Opinions please. 
Gary

IMG_5715.jpeg

IMG_5720.jpeg

IMG_5717.jpeg

IMG_5716.jpeg

IMG_5722.jpeg

Gary,

I agree this Textan 1917 has been dyed. I have a 1942 Textan dated 1917 holster dyed just om the front and more a cordovan color than black. Wonder if these were dyed more for Police or Security Guard work? 

I recently picked up this holster for the 1917 Colt and if the "1957" is manufacture date we still see the russet holsters. This one is for the US Postal Service. I was glad tp get it as I have a 1917 revolver that was one of two from a post office. Mine is US ARMY marked. Was told many post offices had the 1917s due to having cash .  I also have several BOYT revolver holsters in russet with MRT 1963 ink stamps. No date under the BOYT marking and the Marking is BOYT in an oval like much of their post war items. Maybe the holsters were 50s era left over stock then MRT treated but never dyed? 

Here is the USPS holster for the 1917 revolver

Resized952023121195141644.jpg

Resized952023121195141700.jpg

Resized952023121195141718 - Copy.jpg

The un-dyed issue holsters will darken with the application of oil, such as neet's foot oil, sweat, sunlight, dirt, and general use.  Some may have been dyed by their users.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to a holster that appears dark in a black & white photo.  You can't tell what color it is, and it may have been dyed.  It most certainly been treated with something.  That plus months of rubbing against wool uniforms gives them a nice polished look.

I joined the Army in 1973, and saw several WWII dated holsters that had been dyed black.  I remember seeing one in a locker that was still brown.  I wish I had managed to acquire that one!

gbettcher
30 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

The un-dyed issue holsters will darken with the application of oil, such as neet's foot oil, sweat, sunlight, dirt, and general use.  Some may have been dyed by their users.  I wouldn't pay too much attention to a holster that appears dark in a black & white photo.  You can't tell what color it is, and it may have been dyed.  It most certainly been treated with something.  That plus months of rubbing against wool uniforms gives them a nice polished look.

I joined the Army in 1973, and saw several WWII dated holsters that had been dyed black.  I remember seeing one in a locker that was still brown.  I wish I had managed to acquire that one!

Yes, many of the WW2 1911 holsters were dyed black when the regulations changed in 1956. I just haven’t seen it done on a 1917 revolver holster before. 

iron bender

My dad had my mom send him a new holster in 1968 as all of their leather gear was rotten. He carried this 1944 MSCo holster my mom bought at a A/N store in Copperas Cove. Looks like it was mint in a couple pics from 1968, and very used by end of 69.

IMG_7858.jpg

IMG_7859.jpg

IMG_7860.jpg

gbettcher
1 hour ago, doyler said:

Gary,

I agree this Textan 1917 has been dyed. I have a 1942 Textan dated 1917 holster dyed just om the front and more a cordovan color than black. Wonder if these were dyed more for Police or Security Guard work? 

I recently picked up this holster for the 1917 Colt and if the "1957" is manufacture date we still see the russet holsters. This one is for the US Postal Service. I was glad tp get it as I have a 1917 revolver that was one of two from a post office. Mine is US ARMY marked. Was told many post offices had the 1917s due to having cash .  I also have several BOYT revolver holsters in russet with MRT 1963 ink stamps. No date under the BOYT marking and the Marking is BOYT in an oval like much of their post war items. Maybe the holsters were 50s era left over stock then MRT treated but never dyed? 

Here is the USPS holster for the 1917 revolver

Resized952023121195141644.jpg

Resized952023121195141700.jpg

Resized952023121195141718 - Copy.jpg

The US Army loaned many M1917 revolvers to the US PO during the 1920s because of the many robberies. About 1956 they transferred ownership to the post office. That is when the post office started purchasing holsters like yours. Nice holster. 

• 1 month later...

US Women's Army Corps (WAC) drivers and couriers, Private Theresa Smith and Corporal Fay Zimmerman, consult a map while on duty at an Eighth Air Force base in Britain, circa 1944. (Photo: Imperial War Museum)

image.png.7137751317f4abc796de288271b569de.png

Doler

nice  posting the black holsters

is only one holster embossed with U.S., or all three are ?

6 hours ago, conn said:

Doler

nice  posting the black holsters

is only one holster embossed with U.S., or all three are ?

All are US embossed. 

R Leonard

This is the holster issued to my father when his squadron went to the Pacific from Norfolk aboard USS Yorktown (CV-5) mid-December 1941.  Squadron and his initials stamped on the flap.

Other than his flight suit & the clothes on his back, one of the very few items he carried away when the ship was torpedoed for the first time; he was in the air at the time and shot down one of the torpedo bombers before it could make its drop.

Late the same afternoon, taking off from Enterprise, he and Johnny Adams flew the last CAP over Yorktown after it had been abandoned.

00045Holster.jpg.5260e1ccb5c1ad8a0691400f9816d639.jpg

4 hours ago, R Leonard said:

This is the holster issued to my father when his squadron went to the Pacific from Norfolk aboard USS Yorktown (CV-5) mid-December 1941.  Squadron and his initials stamped on the flap.

Other than his flight suit & the clothes on his back, one of the very few items he carried away when the ship was torpedoed for the first time; he was in the air at the time and shot down one of the torpedo bombers before it could make its drop.

Late the same afternoon, taking off from Enterprise, he and Johnny Adams flew the last CAP over Yorktown after it had been abandoned.

00045Holster.jpg.5260e1ccb5c1ad8a0691400f9816d639.jpg

Thats a great holster and belt set. Thanks fro posting and sharing your fathers history.

Three holsters picked up over the years. showing color variation. The one on left is a WW1 issue BOYT. Other two are WW2.  The WW2 ones were found at the same place/time 

2021_02090002.JPG.037e7c1ec82e23d64f0ba362ec411aac.JPG