OIF Helmet Patch ID Please

Big Iron

I have (what I believe to be) an Operation OIF helmet with an unknown patch. It is affixed to the left side of the helmet with a colonel eagle on the front. The helmet looks slightly distorted/small due to the camera portrait mode. Thanks for taking a look!

20230721_180545.jpg

20230721_180556.jpg

20230721_180606.jpg

Looks like the patch’s and the helmet are not connected and just hold each other.  The rank and the patch are not sewn on which would be highly unlikely for a O-6 and Commander of the Group.

4 hours ago, Rhscott said:

Looks like the patch’s and the helmet are not connected and just hold each other.  The rank and the patch are not sewn on which would be highly unlikely for a O-6 and Commander of the Group.

I was thinking something along those lines, that why would a colonel not have them sewn down. The seller, after I paid, said no returns and became very hostile after the fact when I confronted him with the fact they're held on by velcro. He said I should have asked, as if I'd know/think to ask, "Hey, are the patches held on by cheap velcro?" They looked sewn in the pics on ebay and only then did I find out after getting it in hand. It would be akin to asking all sorts of minute details when the pictures seem to imply sewn on, not velcroed. I was pretty disappointed, and figured it was a cheap lesson learned.

2 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Was DCU still in use in OIF?

To some extent or another, yes. I know a lot of expeditionary Navy people (Seabees, SPECWAR support units, Masters-at-Arms, and people stationed at places like Bahrain or Djibouti) got issued DCU stuff well into the 2010s. 

For that matter, I'm sure there's still some DCU knocking around on random gear in armories and storerooms across the US military- MOPP suits, PASGT vests for machine gun crews on warships, things like that.

Jim McCauley
16 hours ago, Blacksmith said:

Was DCU still in use in OIF?

DCU was used up until 2007-2008 timeframe.  I was issued three sets of DCUs in 2007 but was told not to wear them when we arrived in Iraq in 2008.  We (the Army) did wear the tan flight suits, as well as the new UCP, for a couple of years after that.

I also think the helmet that started the thread is a put together piece.

4 hours ago, Jim McCauley said:

DCU was used up until 2007-2008 timeframe.  I was issued three sets of DCUs in 2007 but was told not to wear them when we arrived in Iraq in 2008.  We (the Army) did wear the tan flight suits, as well as the new UCP, for a couple of years after that.

I also think the helmet that started the thread is a put together piece.

Thank you, Jim - for the information, and your service.  🇺🇸