2 bayonets UFH, not cut down M1905s?

GMCollection

GMCollection

Hi,

I have these 2 UFH bayonets, they are not cut down M1905s, nor standard M1s. One with date 1943, the other without.

With the date they seem common, but the other less so.

Would you have any information on these 2 bayonets?

Thanks,

Gilles

Baio M1 transition UHF 2 b.jpg

Baio M1 transition UHF 2 l.jpg

Baio M1 transition UHF 2 m.jpg

GMCollection

Thank you for your reply.

The cut down bayonets M1905 that I usually find of WWII origin in France :

1°) Are dated

2°) Are usually marked on the ricasso or on the back handle by UFH, AFH, OL, PAL or UC 

3¨) The blade is different (the picture)

1 of the 2 has none of these characteristics ?

Baio M1 Datée PM p.jpg

Gilles.

Your UFH M1 was in Union Fork and Hoe inventory as an M1905 blank.  The fuller was not yet fully formed.  The blank was cut down to make the M1.  They finished the fuller to within 2 inches from the tip as with all M1 bayonets.  That's why the fuller does not extend all the way through the tip as other cut down M1s.

Marv

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

GMCollection

Marv,

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation. It is for this reason that we find the 2nd with the same cutting process without the date because it is the marking of the M1. My 2 bayonets have never left UFH company with 16-inch blades. 

Were they completed when the M1s were manufactured or when the shortening of the M1905s began?

Gilles

The shortening process was done during the same time as the manufacture of the new M1s.

Marv

GMCollection

OK,

Last question, so they are with M7 scabbards and not cut down M3.

Mine were with M7.

Gilles

GMCollection- As far as scabbards go, I doubt the war effort was concerned whether the shortened bayonets were paired w/ new M7s, or shortened M3s. What ever was available was used.  SKIP

GMCollection

Thanks SKIP , indeed.

Very often, on "field" bayonets, cut down M1s are with cut down M3s, M1s with M7s.

Not disagreeing at all, I have a mixed bag on all my scabbards. Some M1s with cut down M3s, some cut down bayonets with M7s. Lots of opportunities for switching around over the last 81years.  Units, collectors, surplus dealers etc.  SKIP

GMCollection-

Shortening of M1905 bayonets didnt get rolling until sufficient numbers were retreived and collected  to keep crews engaged until around Sept. 1943. Mods continued sporaticly until Aug. 8, 1945.

The wars end probably saved a few M1905's from the ax.

hyrax222