Has anyone seen any .410 Aluminum Cased Shotgun Slugs?

RWW

I have a list of components I think is from the MILSPEC for an Air Force survival kit that lists:  "Shell, .410 Ga. 2 - 1/2" Shotgun, Slug Aluminum Case, 78 grain" as being a government added component for use in the M-6 survival rifle. I have seen lots of .410 aluminum case ammo loaded with No. 6 shot, and I even have a spam can loaded with No. 7 1/2 shot, but I have never seen any slugs or any other reference to them.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, RWW said:

I have a list of components I think is from the MILSPEC for an Air Force survival kit that lists:  "Shell, .410 Ga. 2 - 1/2" Shotgun, Slug Aluminum Case, 78 grain" as being a government added component for use in the M-6 survival rifle. I have seen lots of .410 aluminum case ammo loaded with No. 6 shot, and I even have a spam can loaded with No. 7 1/2 shot, but I have never seen any slugs or any other reference to them.

That would be inetersting if they were produced due to the fact they were transitioning away from the slug even before the close of WWII. The Stevens 22/410, predecessor to the M6 as you mention, were supplied with shot and slug, but in the spring of 1945 all that slug ammunition was to be no longer provided as per Hague stipulations. This is when they transitioned into the spam-can chilled shot.  Then again, the era you're looking at we were not at war either. Let us known if anything turns up.

On 6/5/2023 at 7:33 AM, RWW said:

The spam can you have I'd wager has 30 shells WCC or RA, those are WWII (1945) produced cans associated with my above statement. I would suspect they remained in inventory until the M35 came about. Here they are pictured with the last sustenance kit developed in WWII with the Stevens rifle, this image is from 1946.

E-18 (10) copy.jpg

I grabbed this quote from the IAA Forum:

Written up in HWS vol 3, it is known as “T136” aluminum .410 cartridge, page 484. The “round-nosed, rifled slug” loading might have been “for commercial purposes”, (as per HWS). Experiments for development were conducted starting in early 1951. I also have 3 such rounds in my collection, all with “oxidized” lead slug, as per one shown by US Subs.

47aae48d759f824605f225daa36d1d5c118cd6f9_2_690x390.jpeg

I can't find any evidence, other that the spec, that they were ever produced or issued with the M-6. I have never seen a picture of them in any manual or period kit photo.

kwill has posted the only one have ever seen. I am not sure what book "HWS" is, but it sounds like they are not sure of its purpose, so I tend to agree with Dustin that they were likely not produced for the military. I think if the military had procured them, one of the ammo collectors would have a box of them, or there would be a lot more examples floating around.

Dustin, you are correct, that is the spam can that I have. These are pictured in some early Air Force kits, so they were around until the M35 rounds came out.

.410ShotgunAmmo(2).JPG.2f5f80316ffd5e44bcfca4cdc83f3f36.JPG

somewhere I have a clear plastic case with I believe 5 aluminum .410 rounds. The company that made the shells had interests in an aluminum mine. May be made by Olin, I can't remember. Dave