Recently Acquired M1923 USMC Cartridge Belts

pwcosol

Gents:

Been meaning to post these some time ago, but here they are now. Of the two pictured in the initial photo, the top one in khaki was made by "ATLAS MFG. CO. | N.Y. CITY | 1941" + "U.S.M.C." . It is named as well to "CASTANEDA" on the pouch. The waist strap is a pea greenish color and is named (ink stamped)... possibly the full name of "CASTANEDA"  but hard to decipher (3rd photo). There is one small tear on a pouch strap keeper which I would like to stabilize/stitch to prevent possible expansion, but it is a difficult area to effect repair.  The lower set was purchased at a gun show. Manufacturer is "H S CO | 44 + USMC". Rear strap exhibits some various ink markings but no names. I looked this one up in Grunt Gear and it appears the last contract for which there was information ended on 1/44. The suspender straps are unattributed and first aid pouch is B. B. S. CO | 194? (it is either a 3 or 2, but not able to verify which)...

M1923 CB Atlas & HS Co.JPG

M1923 CB Atlas 1.JPG

M1923 CB Atlas 2.JPG

M1923 CB Atlas 3.JPG

M1923 CB Atlas.JPG

M1923 HS Co 44 1.JPG

MVC-006F.JPG

M1923 HS Co 44 2.JPG

M1923 HS Co 44 3.JPG

Have you tried putting the stamps under a night vision camera, like a baby monitor? It may bring forth invisible characters.

I wouldn't touch the frayed segment on the Atlas belt. It is virtually impossible to complete a proper repair on that spot, and the condition will not get any worse as long as the belt is handled sensibly. As it stands, the damage cannot be reversed, and it is simply part of the belt's natural wear.

Thank for you thoughts. Agree in leaving the belt keeper alone is probably best. Was happy to find a relatively early WW2 period cartridge belt in decent condition at all...