NEED HELP! Saginaw M1 carbine

Elliott R

Hey guys! I got this Saginaw M1 carbine (August 1943) today. It has a matching Saginaw barrel and appears to be in great shape. I It has a bayonet lug, adjustable sight, and a push button safety. I was hoping some of you could help me on this. I came across some "markings" when I was looking at the stock. First, it has red paint for the rack number instead of white. I was wondering about that. I also found some *possible* initials carved into the back of the stock. If you look closely, it appears to be marked "IA" as in India Alpha. Was hoping one of you could confirm or deny that they are initials (because that would be SO COOL). Anyway, thanks y'all.

Elliott R

M1 carbine 2.PNG

M1 carbine stock initials.PNG

The IA is likely a potion of the rebuild mark.  If the punch wasn't level, or done with much care, you may just be seeing a part of the stamp... Like maybe the IA from RIA.

If it's a 43 build, but had an adjustable rear sight and bayonet lug, it should have a rebuild mark.

Screenshot_20221214_173208_Firefox.jpg.15a0e6cfb196c4bf61f49985355b7051.jpg

"During the process, parts Ordnance had designated as obsolete were replaced with a later version of the part. These include the following.

Barrel Band (replace with band with bayonet lug)

Extractor (replace early style with late style)

Extractor Plunger (replace early style with late style)

Firing Pin (replace early style with late style or modify early style)

Hammer

Hammer spring (2.125" 22 coils to 2.616" 26.5 coils)

Magazine Catch (replace with one that would hold the 30 round magazine)

Magazine Catch Retainer Plungers w/ Safety Plunger

Operating Slide Stop, Spring, and Pin

Rear Sight (replace flip type with adjustable types)

Safety (replace push button with rotary)

Sear"

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

ok, a little unfortunate but thats ok. Anyway, I took apart the gun to clean it and found that almost every part is marked SG. This includes bolt, trigger group, barrel, op rod, reciever, and the stock has an SG on the underside of the handguard. Something interesting is that on the handguard, it doesn't have a P. It does however, have a P on the barrel. From what I could tell, the front sight is marked RIA. The band with bayonet lug is marked SI.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:05 PM, Elliott R said:

ok, a little unfortunate but thats ok. Anyway, I took apart the gun to clean it and found that almost every part is marked SG. This includes bolt, trigger group, barrel, op rod, reciever, and the stock has an SG on the underside of the handguard. Something interesting is that on the handguard, it doesn't have a P. It does however, have a P on the barrel. From what I could tell, the front sight is marked RIA. The band with bayonet lug is marked SI.

Elliott, Lets see some more pictures.  We can compare the various markings and finishes to see what additional clues to its history they may provide.

The P on the barrel is its proof mark.  We find that on most, if not all, production barrels.  Barrels on Saginaw Gear carbines made in Saginaw Michigan were stamped P.  I'd have to check the books as to when in the manufacturing process it got that particular stamp.