M1919 Equipment Tag

9th Seaforth Highlanders

9th Seaforth Highlanders

Hello folks.

I just scored this lot from fee-Bay, and would like to know what the experts can tell me about the collar-disc at the top-right of the attached pic.......

post-4437-1236122342.jpg

....it's not of a pattern I've come across before, and would like to know it's age, and rough value ?

It's got 3 equally-spaced fixing prongs at the back, round the edge.

Also, while I'm here.....what is the large "US" badge ?

9th Seaforth Highlanders
I believe that is a supply tag for a box or something like that. It isn't a collar badge.

-Ski

Ah, OK. Thanks for quick reply !!

post-943-1236123264.jpg

It is a M1919 Equipment Marking Tag. It replaced stenciling on a soldier's issued field equipment after WW1. Each piece (cartridge belt, haversack, first aid pouch, etc.) would have one of these pushed through the fabric and the pointed tines would be bent over a washer. All of the Army's branches had their own pattern. Your's is for Infantry and is marked either for a man in A Company, 49th Infantry or A Company, 4th Infantry, soldier number 9 within the company. Above is the official drawings of these tags.

Bonjour atb.

Where is this documentation? My friends and I, we ask about the use of this system during WWI in France.

Merci. solcarlus.

Bonjour atb.

Where is this documentation? My friends and I, we ask about the use of this system during WWI in France.

Merci. solcarlus.

It is the War Department drawing dated November 1920. I do not know where the original is stored (several possibilities are the US National Archives and records center, the US Army Institute of Heraldry or the US Army Quartermaster Museum). I will try to send you a better electronic copy. Since these came into use in 1919-1920, some probably were used in France and Germany on US soldier's equipment.

• 5 months later...

Il s'agit de la guerre du Département de dessin Novembre 1920. Je ne sais pas où l'original est conservé (plusieurs possibilités sont la US National Centre des archives et des dossiers, l'US Army Institute of Heraldry ou l'armée américaine Quartermaster Museum). Je vais essayer de vous envoyer une copie électronique de mieux. Étant donné que ces est entrée en vigueur en 1919-1920, certains ont probablement été utilisés en France et en Allemagne sur l'équipement du soldat américain.

[/ Quote]

:blush: Avec retard, merci atb

^_^ solcarlus

hi!!!!!!

why those M1919 tags are more present on early webb gear than 1917 1918 dated items?????????????

it's incredible because it's post war tags.why are they praticly always on very early items??????? :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

hi!!!!!!

why those M1919 tags are more present on early webb gear than 1917 1918 dated items?????????????

it's incredible because it's post war tags.why are they praticly always on very early items??????? :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

They did not stop using equipment just because the year ended. Older equipment in usable condition is used until no longer servicable. Much WW1 dated equipment was used up to and during WW2.

They are on early equipment because they are not put on when the item is manufactured but rather when the item was issued. Something may have been made in 1917 and dated as such but not used until 1920 when the property tag was added to show what unit it belonged to.

• 3 years later...