Painted M1937 Gemsco officer EGA set

stucky151

I picked up the officer cover emblem about 8 years ago and had never seen another painted version, so I wrote it off as a messed with EGA. Fast forward about 4 years ago, i came across another painted collar emblem, then found the other side a few weeks ago, also painted though not exactly the same. Thought they were a interesting piece to share with the forum. 

9DB03848-826F-4CA1-AB9F-7642A7A721E6.jpeg

84F94797-A540-4927-8CFA-9E99718880B8.jpeg

7E8F13CD-C654-459C-8C5F-CDEA43B5DB45.jpeg

EC7D5169-7D1A-4E5B-879F-E420578037AA.jpeg

81A728CD-9AE3-42FC-9F46-314D5042D028.jpeg

Stucky,

I have never seen paint on dress emblems.  Are you sure they are "painted" and not plated or flashed?  These were sold and worn up to the early 1960's and materials cheapened, but if you are sure they are painted, it was most likely done by someone trying to hide the tarnish or age in a cheaper material that would not polish.  Could have been a vet....

Understand that you got two in seperate buys, but, I have not seen this late dress version painted by a manufacturer.

Mike

56 minutes ago, usmcaviator said:

Stucky,

I have never seen paint on dress emblems.  Are you sure they are "painted" and not plated or flashed?  These were sold and worn up to the early 1960's and materials cheapened, but if you are sure they are painted, it was most likely done by someone trying to hide the tarnish or age in a cheaper material that would not polish.  Could have been a vet....

Understand that you got two in seperate buys, but, I have not seen this late dress version painted by a manufacturer.

Mike

Yeah, Im 100% positive they are painted. All three are what appears to be brass for every component. You can see the paint from the globe getting onto the sides of the continents. The rope has a copper appearance as well. There is also no traces of black or blueing anywhere on any piece. Things that make you go 🤔 

On 10/5/2022 at 4:47 PM, stucky151 said:

Yeah, Im 100% positive they are painted. All three are what appears to be brass for every component. You can see the paint from the globe getting onto the sides of the continents. The rope has a copper appearance as well. There is also no traces of black or blueing anywhere on any piece. Things that make you go 🤔 

I've seen this a few times...it's usually something the Marine did himself, likely to avoid polishing or to make up for worn-off plating.

If it comes off with a little bit of nail polish on a Q-Tip, then it was likely done at home. Professional/factory paint jobs don't come off that easily. I've had a few emblems I've had to clean with acetone to restore...and it's never an easy one. Once a special dress emblem, and once a stipled trenched emblem with lots of hammered indentations to hide paint.

On 10/5/2022 at 12:47 PM, usmcaviator said:

Stucky,

Mike

On 10/6/2022 at 6:03 PM, Brig said:

I've seen this a few times...it's usually something the Marine did himself, likely to avoid polishing or to make up for worn-off plating.

If it comes off with a little bit of nail polish on a Q-Tip, then it was likely done at home. Professional/factory paint jobs don't come off that easily. I've had a few emblems I've had to clean with acetone to restore...and it's never an easy one. Once a special dress emblem, and once a stipled trenched emblem with lots of hammered indentations to hide paint.

They are completely brass, every single piece, just like they look from the rears. So it makes me wonder why they would

produce an emblem that is neither service nor dress. 

• 3 months later...

I have seen this a lot over the years, and the QC is usually lacking. Personally, I think it was the officer dress equivalent of Em-Nu or a Sharpie to stretch serviceability. These dress officer emblems have never been cheap in any era

• 1 year later...
stucky151

For reference. I stumbled across a sale that had the questioned Gemsco birds in it. So there is at least some proof that these emblems were produced with no finish applied from the manufacturer.  These also have rope applied to foul the anchor. 

IMG_0658.jpeg

IMG_0657.jpeg