Imperial Pilots Knife, post-war

Slufstuff

Here is a recent gun show find, a 1950's vintage Imperial Pilots Knife. It is in good condition, light wear. Leather handle is tight, I think a pretty good example. Unfortunately, it was in a Cattaraugus Q225 leather sheath. I guess I'll still be looking for the proper one for this knife.

DSCF3998.JPG.589e04139817dba059e93e1a94ec9567.JPG

A drawing from old Camillus files and an amendment to the specifications that may help in your search.

Happy hunting nice Imperial.

656202045_JPKEvolution0002a.jpg.a423261d78388e5a5eaeee9b3da7db74.jpg1483204486_JPKEvolution0003a.jpg.ff5acb4dd37b8d2d1d91e6bc10d47b90.jpg

Slufstuff-The pilot knives had a small variety of sheaths. Here is a photo of mine, and you can see the different ones.  I always felt that the style of the light tan one w/ the cut out. was designed for the Imperial bent guard, but it seems not. SKIP

20210103_151837.jpg

Wow. Very nice blades. What's the blade length on these Imperial pilot knives? Looks like a 5 inch blade. Sactroop's illustration shows the blade pocket at 6 inches but a 6" blade would likely poke through and tear the stitching. 

Yes sheaths tend to average about an inch longer than the blade length they're intended to hold.  The blade length spec was 5 inches.  Imperial, Schrade Walden, and Camillus held contracts.  The blade profile was based on the WW2 Mark1, as the Navy requested.  This is the knife that preceded the Jet Pilots Survival Knife.