Meet the Admiral

Dirk

During much of the last century China was in turmoil. Beset by wars and revolutions, usually compounded by economic collapse and starvation, it’s no surprise many families were destroyed. This is story of one such victim, caught up in the 1932 Battle of Shanghai, nicknamed by the 4th Marines, “the Admiral”. During the winter of 1932 the “Admiral” was forced to flee his Chapei neighborhood home with his father in an attempt to seek safety in the city’s international zone. Unfortunately, before they made it to the zone, his father was killed by a stray high explosive round. Caught in the street fighting the young eight year old boy pushed on alone, but fortunately was found by Marines of Company A near the Soochow Creek. Realizing the situation, the Marines who were spectators to this conflict, whisked the boy to safety. Quickly adopted by the Marines, he was given his own uniform and allowed to become the  company’s mascot. Once he was cared for materially, the Marines looked to provide him an more permanent home within one of the city’s many charity schools.  It this point in my research he disappears from history. It is assumed he, like many orphaned children the China Marines would take in and care, he would be turned over to a legitimate charity for care and an education. 

So here we have “the Admiral’s” “official” portrait, most likely taken by Shanghai based photographer George Belkin, the same photographer who took the Regimental portraits for the year 1932. The Admiral appears with a custom tailored issued shirt and trousers, issued belt, pointed field scarf, and topped off with a high gloss helmet unique at that time to the 4th Marines. This would be the exact same uniform the Marines would have wore at the time.

F640F1D2-3598-464E-A60C-10DD0555DD74.jpeg

Great story Dirk and what a wonderful photo. Thanks for sharing this, never heard it before. What an iconic China Marine helmet of the 1930’s 4th Marines there as well. Kevin

sonofaFlyingDeuce

One of my high school buddy's father became a drummer boy in the middle of the Great Depression. He lived near a marine barracks in Boston and tried to enlist there when he was about fifteen; the marines liked him and there was still a billet in that era for under-age drummer boys. Soon afterwards, he was in China with his unit and when he turned seventeen he enlisted. He retired as a Master Sergeant after some thirty years in the Corps.

Dad was a marine too, and I met may marines (mostly aviators) as a kid but, my friend's father was a distinct variety; he was very proud that he had started his career in the Old Corps as a China Marine!