Rare LaGana Tomahawk ?

VNAMVET70

digi-shots
16 minutes ago, doyler said:

Thanks for the pictures. In post #27 of the one you have is the pointed end beveled on each side of (the point) or just flat sided? The picture makes the point look flat on the side(s) where the side runs out to the end of the point.

3 minutes ago, digi-shots said:

another discussion... (do not know who "Ray" is...

image.png.4e81b4d22798de52c8a63b860a9764df.png

Ray got one of the first 500 Vietnam Tomahawks, which had "blonde" handles and a wheeler-brated finish before Mr. LaGana began dipping the whole Hawk in olive drab paint. Opposite the Hawk, on the right hip, you'll find the preferred combat knife of the day, the venerable Ka-Bar...ALSO one of Mr. LaGana's "faves", and now my own, thanks to men like Mr. LaGana, Robert Humelbaugh, Rob Simonich, Brian Jones, and MANY others who have pointed out the merits of that tried and true design.

LaGana being a Marine no doubt he was partial to the Kabar 😉

digi-shots

Post 27 photos…. There is a seam along the top that runs all the way to the end of the spike.. the spike is beveled on both sides and not flat.  

Here’s two new photos.. top and bottom of the spike.

B87314CA-380D-42D1-AB16-96F52B292450.jpeg

1066069C-95C2-4161-8F29-E841160339D5.jpeg

BINGO!

On Monday May 6, 1991, a trademark application was filed for AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The USPTO has given the AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY trademark a serial number of 74163567. The federal status of this trademark filing is REGISTERED AND RENEWED as of Monday, April 15, 2013. This trademark is owned by COLD STEEL, INC. The AMERICAN TOMAHAWK COMPANY trademark is filed in the HAND TOOL PRODUCTS category with the following description: tomahawks.

digi-shots

Blacksmith… I believe the original Pete LaGana tomahawks were dropped forged.  The one I have, which I believe is an unknown re-make, looks like it is cast (appearance of mold marks?) as seen in photos in posting #27.

Various companies copied the original Pete LaGana tomahawk… Cold Steel, American Tomahawk Company and others… including some you see with a Taiwan stamping on the center of the tomahawk head. 

digi-shots

Here is another photo I saved on my computer..  image.png.8bce249c14564cefa062230a1571fac1.png

image.png.4759a3208a3b5ec11e047cc14a6226ed.pngimage.png.19c7a5b8ae51cd30332f140470d3d3b2.png

Overall length, 15-inches. Olive drab painted steel head, measuring 8 3/8-inches, with matching wood handle. Leather sheath marked in silver with maker name, and Ebensburg, Pa., address. Condition: Fine. Estimate: $500/600…..  SOLD: $250

UPS dropped off a  new ATC tomahawk today. Ryan's raised initials are on the right side of the drop-forged steel head. Head is 8" long. Cutting edge is 2-3/8". Faceted hickory handle is 14-3/4" long. Has ATC stamped logo on left side.

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

digi-shots

Does anyone have access to a copy of GRUNT magazine from 1966-67?  I read where the VN tomahawk was advertised there.

digi-shots: Peter LaGana advertised his tomahawk in "Leatherneck  Magazine" roughly between 1967-1970. There are several 1967-68 copies for sale on eBay. In an interview LaGana said he sold most of his tomahawks by advertising in Leatherneck Magazine.

32 minutes ago, VNAMVET70 said:

Glad you are pleased with it. Is it from the 60's?

Yes. 

Im positive its from the era. 

The right number if rivets and right type in civer. Also has the wedge that looks like a cross. The copies so far havent used the same wedge. Handle looks like it was painted OD at one time and short unlike the copies. Also a good sign it was found in Allentown Pa. 

Also the hatchet head is a bit loose. Guessing the wood handle has shrunk a tad over the last 50 years. Could possibly soak it or steam it a bit. Read where one was soaked in a little water at the handle/head line for a day or so then let dry. As for now Im leaving it as found.

digi-shots

Ron, very nice!  Glad it met your expectations!  Also, happy to finally know of someone who actually has one currently in their possession.  The wedge is a giant plus and good to know.  I’ll probably have a dozen questions to ask you.😃

As far as tightening the head, I’d leave it as is for the time being. Just in case it’s something that can’t be undone (I like the philosophy of “do no harm”.. even though I doubt it would hurt it).

I think I read where the early ones had a lighter colored leather cover, later ones were oxblood color.  Early heads were unpainted (?).

When you get a chance, please post some more pics!

12 minutes ago, digi-shots said:

Ron, very nice!  Glad it met your expectations!  Also, happy to finally know of someone who actually has one currently in their possession.  The wedge is a giant plus and good to know.  I’ll probably have a dozen questions to ask you.😃

There was an article that I think Peter LaGana wrote regarding soaking.  It may have been a write up by the American Tomahawk Company repeating a comment made by LaGana on tightening a loose head.  If the head was unpainted, to coat with a waterproof type oil and soak overnight.  If it was painted, not to worry, just go ahead and soak.  I’d leave it as is for the time being. Just in case it’s something that can’t be undone (I like the philosophy of “do no harm”.. even though I doubt it would hurt it).

I think I read where the early ones had a lighter colored leather cover, later ones were oxblood color.  Early heads were unpainted (?).

When you get a chance, please post some more pics!

Yes seems that's what I read as well. Also the same about the covers. Many of the after market ones use different type rivets or leather. Really hate to post to much info like the wedge as the fakers can up their game as we know they read a lot of the posts in forums. 

This cover on this one isnt a dark oxblood and not a light tan either. Haven't found out if Peter LaGana made his own covers or out sourced them from a local maker? More questions.  😄

I would say the leather cover is close to the color in post 59 that you added. Mine isnt in very good light and didnt use a flash.

The head appears to have been painted green on this one. The wedge still shows a lot of Dark OD paint as well as the end of the handle where the wedge is set..

Thanks for all the info and following the post.

digi-shots

I agree, giving out too many details could cause future problems.

I watched a video on drop forging (I had no idea of what it was, but feel like a know a little bit now or at least enough to know what questions to ask).  Do you think there was a master die that was used and the actual finished product was hand finished and the beveled edges sharpened?  If they were all forged in a master die, wouldn’t they all have the same dimensions and perhaps repeated flaws?  Each hawk head would be a bit different if the final product was hand finished… do you think Lagana put the finishing touches on them or did he have workers that did this.  I would imagine a good coat of paint would cover up small dings and filing marks.  I think I read where they were hand dipped and not spray painted.

I have no idea of how big Lagana’s operation was… did he also do the leather work, cutting, dyeing, etc,?  There could be small variations if it was all hand done or in different dye lots.

Here’s a photo of a re-make cover, not leather but some type of thick rubber/vinyl?

691CC0A3-447E-44B6-8F99-BD2DE44A3B63.jpeg

All good questions. As for the dies I have no idea if he had one or more than one. With any die every time you use one there is wear and more than likely shape and dimensions could vary? This one in hand does appear to be hand finished as far as the point on the end spike and the edge of the hatches. Still very sharp t the touch. File work or a sanding belt would have to be used to put an edge on the steel as The forged blanks would not be sharp in my thinking.

As for LaGana and is operation I cant answer that either. It seems he was a single one man operation as none of the few articles mentions anything about employees. Im sure the family would know if someone was able to interview any surviving members or someone who was a close friend to Mr.Lagana. 

20 minutes ago, digi-shots said:

I agree, giving out too many details could cause future problems.

I watched a video on drop forging (I had no idea of what it was, but feel like a know a little bit now or at least enough to know what questions to ask).  Do you think there was a master die that was used and the actual finished product was hand finished and the beveled edges sharpened?  If they were all forged in a master die, wouldn’t they all have the same dimensions and perhaps repeated flaws?  Each hawk head would be a bit different if the final product was hand finished… do you think Lagana put the finishing touches on them or did he have workers that did this.  I would imagine a good coat of paint would cover up small dings and filing marks.  I think I read where they were hand dipped and not spray painted.

I have no idea of how big Lagana’s operation was… did he also do the leather work, cutting, dyeing, etc,?  There could be small variations if it was all hand done or in different dye lots.

Here’s a photo of a re-make cover, not leather but some type of thick rubber/vinyl?

691CC0A3-447E-44B6-8F99-BD2DE44A3B63.jpeg

Have seen this cover before but dont recall the back or even the interior.

Dont recall the Hess hatchets having a cover or havent seen one.

Also on article stated the covers can be as rare or rarer to find than the hatchet for some reason. 

digi-shots

Here are a few more photos of the “re-make” that I have (I was told a few years back that it is not a Vietnam era hawk).

It came without a cover.  The re-make cover in the previous post it about 1/8” too small and the hawk head will not fit in it.

I think the handle on mine is original to the tomahawk. There is a build up layer of green paint on the very top of the handle near the opening of the eye.  The handle still has a green paint stain in the wood fibers.

67EDE84D-7484-44AB-AB57-34AFA7F010B9.jpeg

F63E040B-A848-4B1C-B914-E3A51A679C1C.jpeg

226632AE-6457-4E94-9FEC-DE6A2D5641FB.jpeg

FFF548C0-C50B-4825-8359-7EBA453D0990.jpeg

576E11D9-AC9B-42CD-A3E8-5F4AE354FBE4.jpeg

B325DCFE-98EB-4F57-96FA-E6FD92A2B7BC.jpeg

E910C7E1-5A15-47F3-B45E-3F786C752FF6.jpeg

Thats a pretty convincing copy. Do you know who made it? 

What is the overall lenth of the handle and the handle length from the base to the base of the hatchet?

The one I received is right around 132 7/8 from the base of handle to base of hatchet. Total length around 13 7/8

digi-shots

No idea of who made it.  In hand, it is awful good looking and the texture of the metal doesn’t look like many of the copies I’ve seen. It’s got good looking wear.  It doesn’t appear to have been sharpened for a long time.. there are beveled edges edges but the cutting edges do not seem to be very smooth, like you’d get from a sharpening stone or grinder.

12 3/8” from base of handle to bottom edge of hawk head

8 3/4” spike to bit edge

I would discourage soaking the handle in water.

Many farmers or loggers will tell you that only soak the handle to get by. You will definitely have to replace the handle with multiple soakings.  

That's for working tools. Something like this I would see if tapping the wedge won't tighten the head back up.

Wood swells and shrinks naturally with changes in humidity. too much swelling actually damages the cell structure of the wood and it gets worse over multiple soakings.  It's actually one way that  is used to remove broken handles from the tool head.

• 2 weeks later...