Removing the foam liner from an SPH-3

Obviousman

I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with the correct way to remove / fit the foam liner (V-Tec?). I did it once but think I was only lucky not to damage anything. My understanding is:

• Two people is best
  • One gently pulls open the helmet shell itself via the sides
  • The other slips something like a spatula under the foam
  • The foam liner is then gently manipulated and pulled out? To the rear? To the front?
  • Unsure about replacement procedure but assume reverse of removal?

Can anyone assist?

4 hours ago, Obviousman said:

I'm hoping someone might be able to assist me with the correct way to remove / fit the foam liner (V-Tec?). I did it once but think I was only lucky not to damage anything. My understanding is:

• Two people is best
  • One gently pulls open the helmet shell itself via the sides
  • The other slips something like a spatula under the foam
  • The foam liner is then gently manipulated and pulled out? To the rear? To the front?
  • Unsure about replacement procedure but assume reverse of removal?

Can anyone assist?

That is pretty much the best ways to go at it.  Ive done it myself but it would be a bit easier with an extra set of hands.   Can you post a pic of the liner you are trying to remove.  When i think of a foam liner, I'm thinking of the white styrofoam impact liner used on most helmets, but then other helmets that have a 1 or 2 piece custom form fit poured liner, they done use a separate styro impact liner. 

With a helmet like the Army SPH-4 ro a 4B with the TPL type liners, Ive been able to easily remove and install the styro impact liner myself and sliding out from the front brow area and reinstalling it in the same area (front brow)

Wow. The first time I did it, it was really difficult. This time - with someone holding open the helmet - it took all of 5 seconds to remove, and I'd anticipate replacement will be just as easy.

That made a BIG difference.

Kirkus Maximus

PRU-39/P HELMET SHELL LINER ASSEMBLY...The PRU-39/P is a helmet shell liner that is a form-fit, foam-in place type assembly, which is installed in the PRK-37/P or SPH-3C helmet shell assembly. The PRU-39/P consists of a rigid polyurethane foam liner molded to fit the aviator’s head. The KMU-439/P (liner mold kit) is positioned on the pilot’s head, and foam chemicals are injected into it. The liner is finished with a soft urethane foam comfort pad and leather covering. When properly fitted, the liner provides impact energy absorption, helmet stability, and comfort. liner that is form-fit and constructed from one-ply fiberglass backing (contour-molded to fit within the PRK-37/P and the SPH-3C helmet shell), a leather covering, and a comfort pad. The leather covering and comfort pad are cemented to the fiberglass backing. The fiberglass shell has two holes for introduction of foam chemicals. When properly fitted, the liner absorbs impact energy and makes the helmet stable and comfortable. The aircrew member wears a perspiration-absorbing cotton skull cap to extend the life of the liner.