Captured Fallschirmjäger smock, 29th Div.

Eagle's Nest

Been meaning to share this one for a while now, finally got around to it today.

This was a direct buy, right from the family – below you'll even see a photo of the son right before he handed it over after it'd been kept in his late father's chest of drawers for 70+ years.  

This Splinter pattern Fallschirmjäger smock was captured by Fred Threlfall, of the 224th Field Artillery Battalion, 29th Infantry Division, sometime around June/July 1944.

Precisely where Fred acquired the smock is unknown. The 29th Division came up against fierce resistance from the 3rd Fallschirmjäger Division outside St. Lo — but no doubt they faced scattered remnants of the infamous 6th Fallschirmjäger Regiment too, as they slogged their way through the bocage to St. Lo.

Sadly, there are no identifying marks in the smock, other than the usual Rbnr. number. At some point, the insignia was ‘souvenired’, suggesting perhaps this particular paratrooper was captured and processed as a PW.

During my conversation with the family, I was able to obtain more details about Fred’s training, and wartime service.

“As for my father, after basic training he went to Fort Hood, Texas, for Tank Destroyer training, then to Fort A.P Hill, Virginia. On D Day, my father was in a landing craft with a British crew. They made two attempts to put in, but were turned away because of enemy fire. On the third attempt, they landed at about 10am. He would eventually go up the Vierville Draw and spend the first night in a ditch along a hedgerow where the American Cemetery is now located.”

In advance of the 50th anniversary of D Day, the veteran also recorded some of his memories from his time in Normandy:

“I was in the 29th Division. I remember well going up the Vierville Draw and going through Vierville while it was being shelled by the Germans. Isigny I well remember, as it was at night. I went through the town and it was on fire, and yet many of our own infantry men were on the roofs of these burning buildings watching the windows and doorways of buildings on the opposite side of the street for snipers. It seemed to me it was the main street or business area that we were on, as the buildings were mostly three stories. I was on a 50 calibre machine gun on the cab of a 6 by 6 pulling a 105mm howitzer. As I remember it, we were the only vehicle moving slowly to get on the other side of Isigny. We could hear a German plane flying directly above us. It was bright as day where we were from the fires. But between us and the plane, we could see the black smoke which protected us from their sight. We felt we were going to be bombed and strafed, but we were not. It was on my mind a lot, as when we were briefed in England before loading on the barges, we were told we should be on the outskirts of ST. Lo by D+3. Well it took much longer. St. Lo was pretty much flattened when we went through it, but it must have been a beautiful city before the war.”

This is a treasured piece of mine, I hope you enjoy it.

Chris 

Smock+1.jpeg

Fred.jpeg

Smock+2.jpeg

Smock+3.jpeg

Smock+4.jpeg

Smock+5.jpeg

S12.jpeg

Yes perhaps, although the smock shows minimal wear. Definitely combat worn, but I don’t get the feeling he used it to hunt in. 

USCapturephotos

I absolutely love this piece and the history with it. I am sure some purists out there don't like the fact that the eagle was removed, but for me that just adds to the "souvenir" appeal. Please don't add one back on there.

Paul

"I absolutely love this piece and the history with it. I am sure some purists out there don't like the fact that the eagle was removed, but for me that just adds to the "souvenir" appeal. Please don't add one back on there.

Paul"

I totally agree.

It's hard to see in the photos, but the smock is clearly a shade darker in the little area where the eagle was removed. It's the little details like that I really like.

Chris 

36 minutes ago, MasonK said:

Another amazing piece added to your collection, Chris. The photo of the vet is pretty awesome as well. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Eric, great catching up the other month. 

Chris