Firmin pilot wings , real or fake ?

Kilroy56

Hello ,

British made wings are said to be a minefield...

May I ask for your thoughts about this one?

I thank you for your assistance and wish you all a happy holiday season.

FP1.jpg

FP2.jpg

FP3.jpg

I looked closely at this one for quite a while. What put me off was the other examples I compared it to including the one in Bobs site has a very different style catch, basically a thick round wire as opposed to the flattened c catch on this one. I just couldn’t get past that myself, might be okay I dunno but it is definitely different than all those I looked at. 

Inputs appreciated , thank you Gentlemen !

I would not comment on the hallmark , my experience with wings is too limited.

As to the flattened c catch , it is mostly seen on Gaunt made wings if I recall correctly .

Yet, have a look at the Bombardier wing below. This , close to the one pictured on Bob's site has been considered original...

FB1.jpg

FB3.jpg

Good to know on the catch. Every Firmin pilot I could find had the rounded one so it made me nervous. Nice to see a flattened one on another example. 

Again, I am no expert, but I always kind of look for that "shadow" strike on Fermin wings. This to good to be true, high quality hallmark always gives me pause.

8 hours ago, pfrost said:

Again, I am no expert, but I always kind of look for that "shadow" strike on Fermin wings. This to good to be true, high quality hallmark always gives me pause.

And the photo on the bottom HAS that shadow strike.  The wing in question does not.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously late to this post, but I don't like the looks of the Pilot wing. The shield seems wrong to me. Has a similar look to those fake Angus and Coote pilot wings.

Here is a post discussing similar looking pilot wings and a set of Firmin pilot wings that are good

As far as the bombardier wings go, not sure about those. It appears that a variety of findings were used so these wings could very well be good, but when I look at Firmin wings I prefer to see findings that include a wire hook to hold the pin and a pin with a tight wrap around the attach point. 

Here are my examples...

Firmin A.jpg

Firmin B.jpg

Great info, the attachment you provided for the earlier post helps a lot. I see a much wider border around the shield on the suspect wings as well as the different catch that I had mentioned earlier in this thread. The shield differences are obvious when compared side to side.