Front seam M1-C chinstrap question

elh1311

Picked up an FS/SB M1-C today. It was paired with a "rigger-modified" WW2 liner, indicating Korean War-ear use. Sweatband has a name and post-war service number on it (any tips on researching post-war service numbers, I'm all ears!). 

I'm under the impression that front seam M1-Cs were the early run M1-Cs (can't tell if the rim is stainless or manganese but judging by the paint adherence, money is on manganese) yet this one has the second pattern chinstraps. 

How common are the front seam M1-Cs especially with second pattern chinstraps? Also, these chinstraps are what I believe to be OD7 but are quite faded. Thanks in advance, Eric

20210903_163450~2.jpg

20210903_163206~2.jpg

20210903_163233.jpg

20210903_163223.jpg

20210903_163206.jpg

"How common are the front seam M1-Cs especially with second pattern chinstraps? Also, these chinstraps are what I believe to be OD7 but are quite faded. Thanks in advance, Eric"

Yes, variations of the M1 helmet with manganese rim both front and rear seam are common with the last variations of parachutist's chin straps. The difficult challenge for collectors is that these helmets were "modified" not manufactured. When an order for parachutists helmets was placed, McCord would pull from stocks of helmet bodies ready for chin straps, then modify them by sewing the parachutists chin straps in place of the infantry ones. This means that helmet bodies can have a wide range of variation in their finish, depending on the time of the order, while the chin straps used are the best tell as to the date range they were modified. The chin straps being olive drab shade No. 7, eleven row weave with the double bar tac around the loop would indicate 1945 as the time frame for modification.

1 hour ago, Pepper said:

"How common are the front seam M1-Cs especially with second pattern chinstraps? Also, these chinstraps are what I believe to be OD7 but are quite faded. Thanks in advance, Eric"

Yes, variations of the M1 helmet with manganese rim both front and rear seam are common with the last variations of parachutist's chin straps. The difficult challenge for collectors is that these helmets were "modified" not manufactured. When an order for parachutists helmets was placed, McCord would pull from stocks of helmet bodies ready for chin straps, then modify them by sewing the parachutists chin straps in place of the infantry ones. This means that helmet bodies can have a wide range of variation in their finish, depending on the time of the order, while the chin straps used are the best tell as to the date range they were modified. The chin straps being olive drab shade No. 7, eleven row weave with the double bar tac around the loop would indicate 1945 as the time frame for modification.

Awesome, thanks! This helmet has been repainted for sure and has the post-war rigger liner. 

I understand that the chinstraps varied between 10 row and 11 row throughout their manufacturing period.

It's a cool helmet, I'll post better pics later if anyone is interested.

Nice front seam M1C, yours has the transitional period manganese rim and im sure at that time period they were using a mix of chinstraps totally normal to see the od7 straps at this point👍🏻.....mike

40 minutes ago, sgtdorango said:

Nice front seam M1C, yours has the transitional period manganese rim and im sure at that time period they were using a mix of chinstraps totally normal to see the od7 straps at this point👍🏻.....mike

Thank you Mike!

The front seam is a bonus for sure. I am betting most WW2 produced M-1C helmets were rear seam. 

Although it's true that regular helmet shells were simply coupled with parachutist chin straps, you also need to consider that by the time the M-1C was being produced, the army began using manganese rim material with a reason, i.e. to reduce glare in the field, which in my opinion makes stainless steel rim M-1C helmets the exception, not the rule. Around the same time the seam was switched to the rear of the helmet as a ballistic improvement. The rim material, upon impact, as in the case of shell fragments hitting the helmet, was prone to seperating from the shell in the areas around the seam first, which allegedly caused face/eye injuries in a number of cases, which made the army decide to relocate the seam to the rear of the helmet, or so I've heard. 

8 hours ago, ken88 said:

The front seam is a bonus for sure. I am betting most WW2 produced M-1C helmets were rear seam. 

Although it's true that regular helmet shells were simply coupled with parachutist chin straps, you also need to consider that by the time the M-1C was being produced, the army began using manganese rim material with a reason, i.e. to reduce glare in the field, which in my opinion makes stainless steel rim M-1C helmets the exception, not the rule. Around the same time the seam was switched to the rear of the helmet as a ballistic improvement. The rim material, upon impact, as in the case of shell fragments hitting the helmet, was prone to seperating from the shell in the areas around the seam first, which allegedly caused face/eye injuries in a number of cases, which made the army decide to relocate the seam to the rear of the helmet, or so I've heard. 

I appreciate the information, very interesting about the why the seam was moved.